Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 12:02 PM

Will I ever be allowed to Adopt a dog!?

I've been looking at resuce websites, as one day I would really love to adopt a dog, and just have purely as a pet, rather than a working dog like the rest of mine!

Most conditions of the resuces seem to be that you can't have more than 2/3 dogs already and have a secure garden.

I have 7 dogs, so does that mean that I won't even be considered?

And I don't have a secure garden, the man the owns my house, ripped my garden fences down, so he could have easy access to the grass to cut it, and said he won't ever put me a fence up. I don't live near a busy road, and never ever leave any of my dogs outside unsupervised any way.

I am going to speak to the man that owns my house and the farm to see if we can make somewhere secure, and I want to be able to let Tilly off the lead sometimes.

If my garden wasn't secure, but I had somewhere secure I could take a rescue dog, would I be considered!?

xx
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 12:06 PM
can't see anyreason why not, never heard of there being a restriction on the number of dogs you can have not something we do, the garden maybe a problem , but then again it depends where you live
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Athurshiels (which is your local rescue anyway would definitely consider you.

They judge individually rather than set rules and I think depending on what they thought of you and the particular dog you are interested in, the fact that you don't have a secure garden may not even put them off if you could show them how you would manage things.

Their website is often not up to date as they simply don't have the time, but if when you are ready, certainly worth having a word with them.

Any idea what sort of dog you want...presumably not a gun dog
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 12:15 PM
I don't have a clue what sort of dog I would like! Definatly not a gun dog or a terrier!!

It would have to be quite a big dog, as Midge prefers bigger dogs, (He tends to pick on small ones!) and Midge lives in the house too!

xx
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by Misty-Pup View Post
I don't have a clue what sort of dog I would like! Definatly not a gun dog or a terrier!!

It would have to be quite a big dog, as Midge prefers bigger dogs, (He tends to pick on small ones!) and Midge lives in the house too!

xx
They do get quite a few big dogs in...GSDs and rottis (and their crosses) are probably the most common of the larger ones, but they have had allsorts.

Also, you could speak to Kirsty (Moobli) as she is volunateering for GSD rescue who have loads of dogs needing homes at the moment.

What are you thinking of timing wise - is this something for a few years down the line, or sooner?
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 12:41 PM
Some rescues will not rehome unless all your Existing dogs are neutered!!!!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Your own dogs regard your place as theirs and don`t try to `escape` but a new dog will. I would sort out some kind of enclosure, personally, even if it`s only a short period while the dog gets to know you and the routine. This will be a lot less stressfull for you and the dog than trying to keep your door closed all the time.
LoweherzLeos
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-01-2010, 12:46 PM
i think that because you work your dogs it will go in you favour because you understand the importance of discipline, exercise, correct feeding etc
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post

What are you thinking of timing wise - is this something for a few years down the line, or sooner?
Maybe later this year, or sometime next, hopefully. I wouldn't at the moment anyway, as we've got holidays and things coming up and that wouldn't be fair to a new dog!

Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Some rescues will not rehome unless all your Existing dogs are neutered!!!!!
All my dogs still have their bits and pieces, so thats another black mark against me!

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Your own dogs regard your place as theirs and don`t try to `escape` but a new dog will. I would sort out some kind of enclosure, personally, even if it`s only a short period while the dog gets to know you and the routine. This will be a lot less stressfull for you and the dog than trying to keep your door closed all the time.
I'm wanting to do something, that is completely enclosed and escape proof, because Tilly can't ever be off the lead, as she runs away, I'm going to speak to the man that owns my house, once the snow has completely gone, as his mind is preoccupied with snow and feeding sheep at the moment!

Originally Posted by LoweherzLeos View Post
i think that because you work your dogs it will go in you favour because you understand the importance of discipline, exercise, correct feeding etc
I can see what you mean, but just because I work my dogs doesn't neccessarily mean that I understand about all these things. (I do, but hopefully you can see where I am coming from.) It also isn't fair to say that, as there are plenty of people that don't own working dogs, and that don't work their dogs, that know more than I do about these things!

x
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 02:55 PM
We (GSD Rescue Scotland) would consider you, but would prefer you to have some kind of secure/enclosed area initially at least. However, I wouldn't let that put you off applying, as each home is vetted and taken on its own merits.

Are all 7 dogs yours, or are some your OH's? We have 10 dogs living here, but only 4 are mine Would you have a problem with neutering the rescue dog if it weren't already done so? If not, then the fact your working dogs are entire would not be an issue.

Did you also mention in another thread about moving back down South? We like to do a couple of follow-up visits just to make sure both adopter and dog are happy with each other, so that might be an issue, if you were to be planning a move while looking to adopt.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >