Our sister sites
Our sister sites
seaunicorn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-12-2009, 10:12 AM

Puppy - not eating. Teething?

Hi all,
I know that I am probably worrying for nothing, but my normally starving puppy (25 weeks) would not eat all of her breakfast this morning (she has dry food for her meals) she ate about half then started barking at it, went back a couple of times, had one mouthful and barked at it and then left it completely. She has done her normal business in the garden and all is fine there - she is playful -I have felt her stomach and it is not bloated or hard.
Could it be that she is teething and the food is hurting her mouth? She has all her adult front teeth and I can see her canines coming through and pushing the baby ones out of the way.
Any ideas anyone?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Hi Elaine her teeth could be bothering her .What food are you feeding, it may help to soak dry food in a little warm water to make it soft while your puppy is teething.

Also giving a teething puppy soothing things to chew on can help, like a frozen carrot or an old tea towel knotted, moistened, then frozen.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-12-2009, 02:42 PM
I never had a puppy not eat due to teething. If the canines are coming in, the other teeth are mostly in and shouldn't be bothering it.

When a dog suddenly quits eating, usually it is sick. Were it a little younger, I would suggest getting to the vet today. At that age, its immunizations should be protecting it from the most serious diseases. It is also big enough to have more resistance. If no other symptoms show up, you might wait until Monday to see the vet.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-12-2009, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
I never had a puppy not eat due to teething. If the canines are coming in, the other teeth are mostly in and shouldn't be bothering it.

When a dog suddenly quits eating, usually it is sick. .
Labman, in order to know if puppies have problems eating during teething you would need to be with them and to observe them. According to your previous posts this clearly is something which doesn't happen with the puppies who are entrusted to your care. From 7 weeks of age they are shut in crates most of the time on wire mesh without bedding and water (see Labmans previous posts including this one) .
With many of our puppies, my wife and I were working the same hours our children were in school. The puppies were left much of the day by themselves.
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?p=1755917#post1755917
...Elaine has told us the puppy ate some of the food and is well in every other way, so with a puppy around 6 months of age I would not be too concerned at this stage.

If the puppy ceases to eat at all/is unwell in any way/ or the poster is at all concerned the puppy should be checked out by a vet but in this instance I would try moistening the food first and see how things go...
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Labman, in order to know if puppies have problems eating during teething you would need to be with them and to observe them. According to your previous posts this clearly is something which doesn't happen with the puppies who are entrusted to your care. From 7 weeks of age they are shut in crates most of the time on wire mesh without bedding and water (see Labmans previous posts including this one) .
...Elaine has told us the puppy ate some of the food and is well in every other way, so with a puppy around 6 months of age I would not be too concerned at this stage.

If the puppy ceases to eat at all/is unwell in any way/ or the poster is at all concerned the puppy should be checked out by a vet but in this instance I would try moistening the food first and see how things go...
No wonder you know so little about dogs. You can't seem to get anything straight. So they manage to eat if they are going to when I am not around? Due to me being able to take my puppies with me most places I go, I likely see much more of them than even the leisure classes that are home all day with the dog outside. If you are going to take a young puppy in, say a restaurant, you had better keep a close eye on it. How much attention do you pay to your dogs while out shopping?
LillyRose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-12-2009, 01:25 AM
No wonder you know so little about dogs. You can't seem to get anything straight.

I think you, my friend, are the one who knows so little about dogs.

I too, moisten Scarlett's JWB with some warm, boiled water.She started struggling eating at around 5 months and I soon realised it'd be her teeth.It's suprising what you learn from a dogs when you spend time around them

The OP stated that her pup barked at her food which would tell me she's relating the bowl to pain.I'm yet to meet a dog who has done this due to sickness, as you state, Labman.

I suppose whilst you're away from your little charges - that'd be for long periods of time as stated my Minihaha - you aren't able to hear them bark at all, whether that's out of pain, bordem or just pure loneliness......
Beanz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-12-2009, 02:19 AM
I would soak her meals too, sometimes puppies just get bored crunching the hard dry food and if her gums are sore hard bits of food could just be irritating for her.

As adults I still soak the morning feed for our dogs.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-12-2009, 02:28 AM
Minihaha is 100% wrong about how much time I spend with my puppies.
seaunicorn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Thank you for your comments - I have tried soaking the food and she is eating normally again - I did read up on the order of her teeth coming in and she seems to be doing it the wrong way round - it is supposed to be front, then premolars then canines, but she has done front, canines and now it appears that it is her premolars and molars that are bothering her - I have also tried the frozen carrots with grreat success (thank you), she does not like the frozen cloths though.
Thank you all for you help, as I said before she is perfectly well apart from the not wanting to eat all her food if it is too hard.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Hi Elaine, have there been any improvements with her eating today ?

P.s I have just noticed were nearly neighbours
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >