Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2009, 11:30 PM

Don't feed my dog sweets!!!

My first mistake was tying Werm outside our local Tesco metro Whilst i ran in for a single loaf of bread. I spent the whole time at the till fretting that i would get outside to find her gone.....but figured I was just being neurotic..... anyway

when i got outside she was there with a small group of a parent, her friend and her son petting her, this I thought was cute then i suspected that Werm looked as if she had been eating something but couldn't be sure so said nothing.

I said Hi to them and went to untie her only for the mother to step forward and tell her son.. ''Go on give it another one of your chocolates before it goes....''
I kind of squarked something along the line of ''no its ok, she might get a bad tummy if you do that'' and hurried away.

Walking back home through it really got me mad!! The son was only young but the woman should have known better than to just go up to a strange dog abd start feeding it sweets!!

Am I being totally unreasonable?
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2009, 11:38 PM
thats not unreasonable at all.

she shouldnt be feeding her anything, never mind chocolate! some people are unreal, what if she gave a dog something it was allergic too or choked on or something like that??

boy, some people are real idiots...
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2009, 11:48 PM
Maybe i freaked out a bit as had been feeling guilty for leaving her unattended outside the shop?!
But even so - i would never feed anyone elses animal or child without at least asking!?
she shouldnt be feeding her anything, never mind chocolate! some people are unreal, what if she gave a dog something it was allergic too or choked on or something like that??
exactly!!
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2009, 12:42 AM
I am always one to talk to a doggy if it is ties up at the front of a shop, but in no way would I feed it or even pat them. For starter it is normally staring into the shop looking for its owner and secondly it may not react that well to strangers coming up to it when it is stressed waiting for them to come back.
Some people have no clue about dogs, i get why you are cranky as giving your dog food by a stranger isn't ideal but maybe you could have told them about chocolate and dogs so they hopefully could learn something.
Mind you I would freak out if someone gave Scratch anything as he is on a special diet and can't have a lot of things.
So I get why you are mad
Natalia_leigh
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-10-2009, 12:45 AM
Oh no! that's wrong in mutiple of ways!! I would have said something to her like "are you stupid you could of killed my dog"!!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2009, 09:10 AM
Yes but you put the dog in that position----I think tying them up and leaving them leaves them open to all kinds of abuse. They thought they were being kind----suppose someone came along with evil intent. They could have been there and gone before you even knew they were there!

Big learning curve and I'd be thankful that nothing worse happened.

rune
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2009, 09:29 AM
i must admit i wouldn't leave my dogs tied up outside a shop. i'm even reluctant to leave them in the car for any longer than a couple of minutes! ok, i may be slightly paranoid there i know!

i'm glad werm was ok and it's awful that people would do that. i wouldn't stroke a dog that was tied up let alone feed it.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2009, 09:33 AM
You`re lucky - I tied my GSD up outside a shop and came out to find some boys trying in run over her paws with their bikes. The soft dope was just lying there. I didn`t do it again until last year when I tied Daisy (muzzled ) and Shamus up while I dashed in the Park Cafe for a cup of (takeaway) tea...and came out to find children throwing stones at them.
Never again. I leave them loose now.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
You`re lucky - I tied my GSD up outside a shop and came out to find some boys trying in run over her paws with their bikes. The soft dope was just lying there. I didn`t do it again until last year when I tied Daisy (muzzled ) and Shamus up while I dashed in the Park Cafe for a cup of (takeaway) tea...and came out to find children throwing stones at them.
Never again. I leave them loose now.
what the hell is wrong with these kids!

honestly i find it incredible that they would even think of doing something like that, let alone do it. it makes you wonder what their home life is like. they would have to learn that behaviour from someone.
oldshep52
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Natalia_leigh View Post
Oh no! that's wrong in mutiple of ways!! I would have said something to her like "are you stupid you could of killed my dog"!!

Would it not be better to explain sensibly and rationally why they should not have fed your dog as opposed to coming over as a rude and unpleasant ambassador for dog owners?
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 > Last »