View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
annspot80
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-10-2009, 09:59 AM

which food is better - viewers opinions please.

Hello everyone. Just asking about different food brands and what you think is good and bad.
The vets in my area - newport, south wales, all seem to recommend science hills and when you join up, they give you a free bag ! Ive heard this is no good to dalmatians - this is what im getting soon. I like the look of wainwrights and jwb. I will keep the puppy on beta as that is what the breeder is feeding him at the mo, but when he is older, just wanted to find out which feeds are more popular than others in general. Look forward to hearing your replys.
Double Trouble
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-10-2009, 10:05 AM
I have used two foods for many years now, These suit my dogs well.

They are Nature diet which is a wet food.

And the dry that I prefer is Arden Grange.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Sounds like your vets reccomending what they sell - so I would ignore that

If you are going with dry food then JWB or the like is good - best for something with as natural ingredients as possible, no wheat and no added sugar

My vet recomends home cooked and is happy that I feed raw, but either of them is a little more work than opening a bag of kibble
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2009, 10:55 AM
i used JWL with suki and rly liked it but it was too rich for michael, so was science plan, pro plan and a lot of the others.
chappie or beta was fine for mine i have found a cheaper alternitive which works for mine. I think you need to use what ever works for your dog
ATD x
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-10-2009, 11:01 AM
I try to always feed raw with veggies fruit and rice or pasta. But if i ever have a shortage i always use Burns and nature diet, both are good quality ans most importantly ethical and not tested on animals, which most pet foods are these days sadly

Vets get commision from food manufacturers to sell their brand and it sounds like this is the case here.

Burns was created by a vet and has won awards....i would go for that or have a word with your local butcher as raw food is very cheap and most butchers will give the meaty bones away free as it costs them to dispose of.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2009, 11:02 AM
Mine have been fed all sorts

Both were started on Beta by there breeders but we changed them over to Burns when they came home,we then swapped to a cheaper home branded food.
Unfortunatly Meg had an allergy to the food resulting in hairloss to her ears,muzzle and tail

So we then swapped both onto JWB Cereal free,was impressed with food but it was proving difficult getting it from our local pet store,so after a recommendation from a good friend we swapped to Arden Grange.

Both look great on it,lovely coats,lots of energy etc.No tummy upsets etc
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Vets sometimes get a commission on the food they sell / recommend.
I feed my dogs Arden Grange and they do very well on it. Burns is excellent to but very active dogs tend to lose weight on it.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Yes, vets recommend what they sell. So does everybody else, and often the highest margin ones in the shop. I am glad you plan to stick with the Beta for a while. I have heard of no end of problems of people making an early switch. I would stick with it to 4 months as long as the puppy is doing well,and then switch to an adult chow with the same main protein source. Most any brand will do. While the more expensive ones have nicer sounding ingredients, they all are formulated to have about the same nutrition. Dogs need lots of energy. Some foods have more fat and protein than others and what dogs need. The dogs burn off the excess as energy or excrete it.

Puppy chow is formulated for maximum growth. Larger breeds like the Daly do better on a less rich diet giving the joints more time to form under less stress.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Burns---nature diet is good as well of you want a wet food.

rune
bingowings
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Mine a fed a raw food diet
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >