Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2009, 07:11 AM

Scratch's vet visit

Okay for starter I feel bad as I was in such a state I dropped Scratch off but did not stay. My only defence is that it would not help him picking up on my vibes of anxiety, they didn't have to rush the examination, he knows them and he seems to like them (when we picked him up, he ran back into the rooms and had the poor vet nurse thinking a dog had escaped from where they hold them) Still feel like such a bad dog owner.
His results are that his liver enzymes are still up 179 but they were above 400 last time.
He has a skin infection so is on A/B's for at least four weeks.
Everything else is normal.
He is negative for diabetes.
Couldn't test for cushings as it takes two hours, his appt was at 4pm. But he doesn't have the clinical signs of it either, and the liver can apparently take on other diseases and show up in the liver (hope that makes sense ) and need to wait until the skin settles down
Can try him on kangaroo meat and potato diet, and cold-pressed sunflower oil (for his skin)
So no answer to the runny poo's but at least it is not bad bad news.
Emma
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Still no further forward then Emma I honestly have no idea, except to tell you that when my liver enzymes shot up once, it was due to medication, and another time it was due to eating too much fat in my diet (I don't do that now though!!), and with Georgie once, they shot up off the scale but that was due to an enlarged liver. They cured that with some special pills which were very large yellow ones, and I'm wondering whether any of these things could be the case with Scratch? Maybe his food is too high in fat? You could maybe try one of those special low fat diets (but I think you are already???) like I had to do with my EPI dog, Royal Canin Digestive low fat, or RC sensitivity control, both very low or zero fat?

Alternatively, I'd be inclined to give him some of those milk thistle tablets which are good for the liver, they can't hurt can they, but as for the dosage you'd have to ask the vet or get them off him, in which case, they could end up being the same ones I had for Georgie.

For skin I'd be inclined to use that Kronch salmon oil rather than that compressed sunflower oil, or there's a special spray for dogs that you can get called Viacutan coz I've used that in the past for Georgie's skin and it gives a fantastic coat, but you have to wait a whole month for that to work. One of my old vets I used with Georgie once told me that salmon oil has a very special quality found in nothing else which is excellent for skin problems, and at that time Georgie was on salmon and potato food purely for that reason, but I didn't like what was coming out the other end so I changed it.

If he hasn't been wormed for a while, I would ask your vet about doing that 3 day Panacur just to rule out you know what!!! I'm getting paranoid about that now!!!! It could be well worthwhile, you just never know do you, so if you haven't wormed for a while ask your vet about doing that 3 day treatment. Good luck. I know how traumatic this visit was for you after all you've been going through.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Thanks for that Helena, yes he is on his special low fat high cost food
Going to be trying the elimination diet with Kanagroo meat as apparently it is 1%fat (as I got told have you ever seen a fat kangaroo except for at the zoo?)
Will bring up the Panacur can't hurt to flush his system for any nasty's that make be lurking in his gut.
The milk thistle I have herad of and for got to ask about as was having a great brain freeze when picking him up but as they say that is why phones were invented.
Just a question what is a numpty as I think I might be one I can live with that it is everyone else that has to put up with me
I just think when I have no conclusive diagnosis I will keep at it, as I know he is not right.
Am now off to look up Kroch salmon oil and Viacutan.
I am glad my vet has taken a shine to Scratch as otherwise they would have put up a no admittance for any one named Emma I always have more additional possible diagnosis's
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2009, 03:27 PM
Ohh Emma, what are we like eh? Those vets must love us

I hope Scratch improves with the kangaroo meat diet...I know just what its like waiting for those test results..what an awful worry for you.

Good luck with the Panacur, and let us know how he does on it xxx
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Hi Emma, did not know about any of your problems with Scratch but just wanted to send you my best and fingers crossed it can get sorted out xxx
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2009, 04:37 PM
I guess that is all good news - well its not bad anyway.

Its just so frustrating when you still don't know what the problem is.

Fingers crossed the low fat diet will help. x
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2009, 03:12 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Ohh Emma, what are we like eh? Those vets must love us

I hope Scratch improves with the kangaroo meat diet...I know just what its like waiting for those test results..what an awful worry for you.

Good luck with the Panacur, and let us know how he does on it xxx
Will keep you updated on him
Here goes Skippy (Kangaroo)
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
Hi Emma, did not know about any of your problems with Scratch but just wanted to send you my best and fingers crossed it can get sorted out xxx
How could you not know That is my main topic on here, I am sure some people must want to kick me by now as I am always going on and on about him, I am not sure if anyone knows I have another dog as he is so low maintenance (touch, bladdy wood).
Thanks for the good wishes

Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I guess that is all good news - well its not bad anyway.

Its just so frustrating when you still don't know what the problem is.

Fingers crossed the low fat diet will help. x
Yes, it is good (as it is not bad news) I think this is my learning patience program