Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 08:16 PM

railway lines ?

hi,
i was on the train this evening on the very lines my Kaos had his 'boot camp' adventures .(stomach turning )
It made me wonder what made him not get electrocuted i mean he was seen crossing tracks over at least a 2 week period,avoiding trains i understand and he was watched,he would listen and stand very still till the train went by,but what made him be carefull about the tracks?i dont know enough about train tracks,there may be a simple answer,but dogs find out about electric fences the hard way.and many a dog of mine has zapped their noses with the scalextric surely you dont get that chance with train tracks? any ideas?
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 08:20 PM
hey layla, that must have been a really difficult journey.

i wonder if dogs can pick up on a high frequency noise maybe from the track? i know electricity can make a noise so maybe they are alerted to this and stay away?

good question though and it'll be interesting to know what the answer is!

(big kisses and hugs to your littlest hobo too! )
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 08:29 PM
Some dogs just don't like stepping on raised things in their pat, particularly if it was metal. For example - have you ever seen the 'ladder' training equipment - dogs will automatically step between the ladder rungs rather than on them.

Or perhaps he just had an Angel watching over him.

But whatever the reason, he is a very lucky lad (which we are all very pleased about).
gsdgirl:-)
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2009, 08:33 PM
unsure sorry! but would love to know the answer! i think about the "adventure" often x he def had the angels watching him! xx
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 08:34 PM
maybe its cause the electricity current running through railway tracks is much higher than that in fences...and sometimes if you put you r hand close to an electric fence you can 'feel' its live so with dogs being extra sensitive he could probbaly 'feel' that it was live...especially if hes been zapped before
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 08:36 PM
I am pretty sure that the electricity is only supplied to the lines directly before the train passes. That "tssssssch tssch" sound that you hear before a train passes is the electricity ahead of it. The whole track isn't 'live' all the time. I think; don't quote me on it...
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
hey layla, that must have been a really difficult journey.

i wonder if dogs can pick up on a high frequency noise maybe from the track? i know electricity can make a noise so maybe they are alerted to this and stay away?

good question though and it'll be interesting to know what the answer is!

(big kisses and hugs to your littlest hobo too! )
kisses and hugs passed on i have to use the line every sunday and yes its difficult my o/h thinks it is the sound of humming from the tracks.
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Some dogs just don't like stepping on raised things in their pat, particularly if it was metal. For example - have you ever seen the 'ladder' training equipment - dogs will automatically step between the ladder rungs rather than on them.

Or perhaps he just had an Angel watching over him.

But whatever the reason, he is a very lucky lad (which we are all very pleased about).
i think he defo had angels looking out for him,thanku
Originally Posted by gsdgirl:-) View Post
unsure sorry! but would love to know the answer! i think about the "adventure" often x he def had the angels watching him! xx
those angels get my vote
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
maybe its cause the electricity current running through railway tracks is much higher than that in fences...and sometimes if you put you r hand close to an electric fence you can 'feel' its live so with dogs being extra sensitive he could probably 'feel' that it was live...especially if hes been zapped before
there is that feeling when your hair stands on end,but through a huskys coat? it could be felt by his nose i guess
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I am pretty sure that the electricity is only supplied to the lines directly before the train passes. That "tssssssch tssch" sound that you hear before a train passes is the electricity ahead of it. The whole track isn't 'live' all the time. I think; don't quote me on it...
ive been told it is live all the time,apparently birds can land on them though,something to do with the water content in their bodies (not sure how true that is tho)
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 08:53 PM
I am sure he could feel it in some way! Think of all the foxes that live beside railway lines. It's a few years ago now, but I used to work in Forest Hill, and did a commute to there three days a week from London Bridge - I loved seeing all the foxes living by the lines, cubs playing on a grassy bank, and one little fox who was always curled up asleep in a circle with his brush over his nose, under a buddleia bush just outside New Cross station. I looked for him every day and called him my little circular fox.

Also seen pigeons landing on 'live' lines!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 09:00 PM
i think he is either uber smart, or had his guardian angel very close by!

either way, its great he got home unharmed
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I thought the same too.

We've had two accidents over the 8 years we've been here on the lines behind us, a man fell from the plateform after passing out, he hit the rails but didn;t get electrocuted, but two years back a 16 year old climbed on the roof of the station fell and hit the wires, he received extensive burns and lost a leg.
Cats cross the lines, rabbits, foxes etc., so maybe Labradork is right
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >