Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
basky
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-08-2009, 05:43 PM

thin gsd...what to feed??

my gsd is 14months and very active, we walk alot each day and i can't keep wait on her. she was on royal canin gsd junior till i lost my job, then i put her on purina with tinned chappie.
which food is best and would help her put weight on??
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Hi - to get weight on my thin GSD I switched her to Arden Grange Performance, plus lamb flaps or breast (raw) for her breakfast. This did the trick. GSDs occasionally have food intolerances so watch out for that.
bingowings
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-08-2009, 06:35 PM
The lamb is good - mine get minced lamb as well as ribs. You could also try tripe, and also blood if you can get hold of it (not pigs blood though because pigs are often fed rubbish...)
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 07:56 PM
I have always found raw tripe, although incredibly smelly , is excellent at putting weight on a skinny dog
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-08-2009, 08:12 PM
I would move up one grade to something like Purina 1, that isn't that much more expensive. Try to find something that has the same main meat source as the Royal Canin. The Purina 1 and similar foods contain less corn and the dog may eat more usable calories. Don't worry if she still is on the thin side. Some Shepherds like showing off their ribs. She is better off eating the well balanced diet a kibble provides. Trying to put weight on with an unbalanced diet can cause problems.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Working dog foods are higher in fat and protein and are generally pretty good at maintaining weight.
basky
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-08-2009, 08:39 PM
she is on purina one for working dogs and has tinned tripe and cod liver oil twice a day. do you think this is a good balanced diet? does anyone have a link to a site that explains ingredients simply. i keep trying to compare and get confused.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 08:41 PM
How much are you actually feeding of the kibble? and how much does she weigh? it may be a simple case of you underfeeding.
basky
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-08-2009, 08:59 PM
she has 2 jugs and 1 tin of tripe a day. the jug is 1 and 3/4 pint size measuring jug.
basky
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-08-2009, 09:00 PM
not sure bout her weight, we're at vets tomorrow for jabs so will check then.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >