Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2005, 10:21 AM

Bones - Confused!

I know I've asked this question before, but I'm a little confused about bones.

I went to the petshop yesterday, and there were 2 types of bone, a white sterilized bone which I did not buy because it had artificial colourings in the stuffing, and a bigger, 'deep-fried' bone which I didn't buy because "YOU MUST NOT GIVE COOKED BONES" has been drummed into my head for years

Then I thought about going to the butcher's and getting him a raw bone instead, but I'm under the impression that a complete diet is not to be mixed with BARF

So I just ended up getting him an edible Nylabone... but I've taken that away now as he has been chewing something which has chipped his teeth...

So what can i give my Archie?
IanIOW
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-05-2005, 10:43 AM
Hi Tuti,
Personally i would stick to raw bones but they can go through some dogs pretty quick.I would steer clear of the roast bones as i think they could splinter.I used to give Bandit my AB pressed rawhide bones but stopped after he nearly had one stuck in his throat and struggled to bring it back up and he is a dog that eats chicken carcasses and the like so it put me off them.If it is just for teething purposes then a nylabone would do the job but with the raw bone you are getting a lot of vitamins and nutrients etc and i would'nt worry to much about unbalancing the current diet. This is only my opinion and i am sure others will say different but it suits my dogs.Hope this is of some help...Cheers...Ian..
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-05-2005, 10:53 AM
Hi Tuti I don't think giving Archie a bone to eat is mixing his diet it comes under the category of 'treats' as Ian says cooked bones are to be avoided. I also like the nylabones for small dogs teething
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2005, 10:55 AM
hi tuti, u could always buy him a marrow bone from the butchers, he wont be able to chew thru the bone altho he might try,lol, but he will spend hours trying to lick out all the marrow I used to get my butcher to saw it into 3 pieces and freeze the other 2.
IanIOW
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-05-2005, 11:08 AM
Hi Jenny,
You are certainly right about the marrowbone. I have left Bandit in his run with a bone,the door open and he has'nt moved for hours lol...Cheers...Ian..
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2005, 11:11 AM
Marrow bones are great! My butcher charges 30p, which includes sawing it into 3!
Take care that the marrow isn't a bit rich for his little tummy and be aware that you will have to wash his face after - he will stink like a bad butcher's shop!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2005, 11:19 AM
Hi Tuti, I get marrow (beef) bones from my butchers, but I keep a very strict eye on them whilst they're eating them, as there are big bits that separate from the main bone after a while and they can roll these around in their mouth. They have only started having them a couple of months ago as I thought the same as you and they were considered raw food, but I have had no problems whatsoever with upset tums or diarrhea, and in actual fact I would say it has made their digestion slightly better if anything. I think you would be safe to get him a nice marrow bone, but make sure you are there when he is eating it, and don't let him have it permanently, just use it as a special treat for an hour or so a time during the day. If you get one with a lot of extra fat on it I am inclined to cut a lot of that off for my dogs, but they love the marrow from inside.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2005, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the replies

Off to the butcher's now.... I bet Archie will be happy!
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2005, 05:35 PM
Mine love the huge marrow/knuckle bones and it keeps them quiet for AGES (bliss)
They are also said to strengthen the jaw
Our butchers charge 50p each or 3 for a pound
(although i remember them being free in the old days- when i was a child and me mam used to send me there to ask for *any bones for the dog*
Allie & Russ
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-05-2005, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by Lel
(although i remember them being free in the old days- when i was a child and me mam used to send me there to ask for *any bones for the dog*
Me too but I often got confused and asked for "a dog for the bone"
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >