Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leaho
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-06-2009, 08:50 AM

Barking in the early hours

I have a 5 month old puppy. He's always whined to be let out for a wee at around 5am which is fine. Once he's been let out he was always happy to go back to his bed until I came down at around 7am. Now, once he's been outside he barks when I go back upstairs. This continues on and off for around 2 hours until I go downstairs.

I always make sure I only go down when he's not barking so he doesn't associate barking with me coming running, but how do I stop him doing it in the first place?

I think he's trying to say he wants his breakfast but 5am seems to early for this!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 08:56 AM
Try extending the period when he whines at 5am. First leave it 5 mins then gradually extnd the time. At 5 months he should be lasting a little longer during the night. Hopefully he then will start to sleep through.
What is his nightime routine?
Becky
leaho
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-06-2009, 09:02 AM
He is in a crate at night time from around 10.30pm onwards. When he whines at 5am he seems to be desperate as he runs into the garden and immediately does a wee and poo. I'm worried that if I leave him for even 5 minutes he will be forced to soil his bed which I don't want. He is still on 3 meals a day but in another month when we switch to 2, I wonder if this will alter his bowel habits and maybe he won't need to go so early in the morning?

I'm getting no sleep between 5am and 7am as he barks for most of that time for my attention. He doesn't get it but he doesn't seem to be learning!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 09:06 AM
Just a couple of quick questions....

What time is his last feed at?

Is he still eating all 3 of his feeds eagerly?

Is he let outside to toilet imemdiately before you put him to bed?

What do you do when he comes back inside at 5am (e.g. routine)?

Sorry to bombard you with Q's!
leaho
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-06-2009, 09:18 AM
His last feed is at 5pm. He does eat all 3 meals very eagerly! Yes I put him outside immediately before I go to bed. When I come back inside at 5am I lead him back to his crate leaving the crate door open but closing the utility room door so he has access to water and chew toys (this is the same as what I do when I leave the house and he never barks then).

He starts barking almost immediately but I ignore him and go back to bed. I then lie awake listening to his barking on and off for about 2 hours!! This has been happening for around 2 weeks now.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Have you tried giving him his last feed late in the evening? As long as he has time to got out and "empty his tanks" before you go to bed, it would mean he's going to bed with a full tummy and he might sleep a bit longer.
leaho
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-06-2009, 07:12 AM
I will try that and see what happens - thanks!