Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wendi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-04-2009, 07:50 AM

play fighting

hello to you all,
I have a sloughi x greyhound (bailey) and i have got a whippet x saluki, (bonnie)
bailey is 7 months and bonnie is 6 months.
i have had bailey since he was 8 weeks old,
bonnie has just arrived as she is on trial from a rescue, she was going to be shot, they get on really well,
when they play they bare their teeth, they nip and pull each other all over the body, but don't hurt one another, looks quite aggresive with the teeth shown. Is this behaviour normal? or do i have to stop it before it gets out of hand? they "play fight" like that for a few minutes then both lie down and rest,
i wouldn't like to think i had two monsters in the making.
any advice would be greatly appreciated,
wendy
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2009, 07:54 AM
Don't worry, so long as they aren't getting too over excited when play fighting they will be fine. It's normal behaviour and good exercise. It also helps them to learn their own limitations with other dogs. If they get overly silly and you think that it may escalate into a proper scrap, just put them on the lead and make them calm down for a while. Rio plays like this with my Mum's dog, and sometimes she goes over the top so we have to settle her down, as Lottie is much smaller than she is and Rio could hurt her by accident.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-04-2009, 07:59 AM
Playfighting is normal, you should decide for yourself how much is too much. I leave mine to get on with it unless or until there are little people about who are likely to get knocked flying, or until it gets on my nerves. I only allow it in the conservatory or outside to preserve the home to be honest. Lucky you if they only do it for a few minutes, my rabble have been at it for an hour this morning.
I only step in if it starts to get too boisterous, noisy or it looks like one of them will get hurt.
wendi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-04-2009, 08:49 AM
thank you for the info.
glad i have two normal hounds in my house, now just have to work on the kids and husband
many thanks
wendy
stunt monkey
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-04-2009, 07:28 PM
my dogs also play fight its strange because the dominant1 seems to let the other 1 win at the play fight i let them do it until it starts to get noisy.
wendi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Hello Stunt Monkey
I have been letting them playfight til it gets too noisy, then they settle down, have Bonnie on trial as she is from a greyhound rescue, she has settled in quite well, considering her past, Bailey is quite laid back, takes everything in his stride. they have a very spoilt easy life, lovely walks each day, good food, tons of love and cuddles from us all, It certainly is a dog's life.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Hi,

My lot play fight all the time. usually anythign from half an hour to a couple of hours then they'll flop down and not move for ages.

Like others, I tend to lt them get on with it unless it loks as though it's gettign out of hand. The only time I stop it because fo noise is when they decide at 1130pm they want to do it - they'd have the whole neighbourhood up.

When Zane and Ellie were much younger they'd do it for a short while then settle themselves down. Having a 3rd dog confuses them I think. They don't know how ro who or in what order to play/fight in. Although aving a 4th dog in the hosue (tested with my Uncles dog not lng ago) seems to bring out how they were last year.

Bear in mind they're still young puppies so if one hurts the other therer may be a few yelps but it's doubtful it'll be anything serious.

You have nothign to worry about.

Laura xx