Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2009, 03:09 PM

who uses hills science plan?

just what the title says really. is it worth the price and do your dogs enjoy it?
wendyann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2009, 03:14 PM
I do, and my dogs love it, I get the chicken one
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2009, 03:47 PM
It isn't worth anywhere near the amount it costs IMHO. If I was going to pay £50-something for a 15kg sack dog food, I would expect something like Orijen in terms of ingredients. Science Diet unfortunately doesn't even come close.

You can get far better for far less.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2009, 03:58 PM
I use their large breed puppy food, but only because I have to, she has always been on it, and the vet wants me to keep her on it for one whole year, so I will, just coz I want to do it right! Instead of getting it at P@H, I once ordered it at my local pet shop and he was horrified at the price, and every time I go in there he asks me if I'm still buying that overly expensive food and then he laughs and says it's not worth it, but I much prefer to listen to a vet!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2009, 04:18 PM
but I much prefer to listen to a vet!
Your vet would say that though - they get commission for selling Science Diet. Extra £££ in the back of their pocket.
ajshep1984
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
It isn't worth anywhere near the amount it costs IMHO. If I was going to pay £50-something for a 15kg sack dog food, I would expect something like Orijen in terms of ingredients. Science Diet unfortunately doesn't even come close.

You can get far better for far less.
Ditto this! Hill's has insufficient meat content and high quantities of low quality grains linked to allergies. If you're going to spend a fortune on food go for one that contains quality ingredients and has a decent meat content.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Your vet would say that though - they get commission for selling Science Diet. Extra £££ in the back of their pocket.
But I never buy it from them so they wouldn't gain, they know I get it from P@H they never stock the one I use! He explained WHY I am to stick with it, then I researched it, so I now stick with it.
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-04-2009, 06:50 PM
I buy Hills Large Breed - always have - on the recommendatin of my breeder.
Sydney is happy and looks great on it - I would not want to change.
I either buy locally or from Zooplus - especially when they have offers on.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Hi,

I used it with my last GSD, Jaikei as it helped initially when she started on the slippery slope of colitis/IBS. She enjoyed it for the time she could actuially enjoy her food but I wouldn't pay the price now when I know that what I give my dogs now is better for them and costs less overall.

Also, I buy all my dried food (when I do buy it which isn't very often now) wholesale now so would bnever go back to paying extortionate prices for food.

Laura xx
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-04-2009, 11:21 PM
All mine are on the hills natures choice and have been all their lives ( well since 8 weeks)
To be honest i have purchased through our vet and at pah, the price is virtually the same.
The only thing that bugs me is how the size of the bag has been reduced to 12kg.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >