View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2012, 11:20 PM

The Cinnamon Trust - what do you think to this?

I just wonder if it's just me......

But someone elsewhere has flagged up a very overweight Labrador that they are now going to be walking for the Cinnamon Trust. The dog is just 6 years old.

The owners are described as elderly and they haven't been walking the dog. The CT has assigned someone to walk the dog though obviously they will have to fit it in with other things.

Whilst I think the idea of people volunteering to help out others is great - I can't agree that this Labrador is in a good long-term situation. As a short-gap illness solution I think it's a good idea but I can't see that it's a good long-term solution at all.

This person (the dog walker) sees that if they are walking the dog every now and then (hopefully every day at least) it is all fine. But I see it as a dog in a home where its needs cannot be met and won't ever be met. And that long-term the elderly couple should be looking to rehome the dog to a more suitable home. Am I just being mean and nasty?!
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-11-2012, 11:30 PM
I know what you mean.

I used to dog-walk for a charity that supported dog-owners that were unable to walk their dogs but wanted to keep them.

That is great, if it is a temporary short-term support or if an elderly dog and the owner has become immobile.

Some of the dogs were definitely just in the wrong home though and the owners were just selfish.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2012, 06:30 AM
the cinnamon trust come to walk charlie my elderly neighbours lab, all i will say is, that geoff would be devastated if he had to give up his dog, Charlie follows him everywhere and is devoted to him, the only thing he can't manage is to walk him because of health problems, and not being funny aren't there enough dogs in rescue, if they can meet all his other needs except walking
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2012, 06:35 AM
I would say elderly couple need help, they are probably overfeeding it as well.

Why place a loved dog in rescue aren't there enough dogs needing homes.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2012, 08:29 AM
An elderly neighbour of ours has an elderly JR it's fatter than any I have ever seen, I understand what OP is saying but that dog is all that keeps that old lady alive, she gets out of bed for him, she eats for him, she lives for him. Take him away and she would not last long.

What is needed is more care for the elderly so this doesn't happen, but I can't see that happening any time soon.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2012, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by Hanlou View Post
But I see it as a dog in a home where its needs cannot be met and won't ever be met. And that long-term the elderly couple should be looking to rehome the dog to a more suitable home. Am I just being mean and nasty?!
No, I don't think you are being mean and nasty I understand totally what you are saying but I do agree with the other posters as well.

We have so many dogs in rescue, too many dogs for too few homes. The dog may well be very overweight and while that is obviously not got for his health or quality of life, it may be very much loved and otherwise taken care of. As others have commented, the dog may be the couple's greatest joy....

The sad reality is that there are a lot of dogs in unsuitable homes, dogs that don't get walked enough, or ever..... and not just by people with limited mobility - that I can understand - but by people that just can't be bothered. The sort of people you see riding their bikes, taking part in team sports but never walking their dogs

What colour is the lab? I understand that chocolate labs suffer a lot more allergy wise. I walked a lovely chocolate lab back in the summer while his owners were away. He was very overweight because he had been on steroids a long time for his allergies.

I think the lab will really enjoy his walks with your friend, it is a shame that not all other dogs will get that chance
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-11-2012, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
I would say elderly couple need help, they are probably overfeeding it as well.

Why place a loved dog in rescue aren't there enough dogs needing homes.
This.

It's not just old people that have dog walkers & would guess huge numbers of dogs don't get walked everyday. I think it's great they've got someone to walk their dog.

There's an elderly lady who brings her lurcher down to the park same time every morning. She then sits wrapped up on a bench while one of three regular walkers take her dog around with theirs. Her dog's genuine delight when she returns to her person is just beautiful.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-11-2012, 11:05 AM
As someone who falls into the category of both elderly and disabled (albeit temporily) I'd like to make a comment.

Since I broke my leg a year ago I haven't been able to walk Chloe my Tibetan Spaniel who's just over 3 years old and have had to rely on friends and neighbours to do it for me. I should add that I can let her out to play in the garden and as I can drive my car she's travels everywhere with me.

I'm amazed how quickly she adapted to having a Mum with limited mobility and having to spend more time in the house. She brings her toys to me when she wants a game of tug and uses up her surplus energy by doing zoomies round the house and she's very good at letting me know when she wants to come in and go out.

I wouldn't be without her as she's the one who gives me the incentive to get up every morning and try to carry on my life as much as normal.

Next month I'll be having a hip replacement and hopefully after that I'll be able to walk properly again and what better objective can you have than the thought of being able to take your dog for a long walk again?

P;S Chloe's certainly not overweight!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Call me selfish but if I became elderly and infirm my dogs would be the last thing to go and if the only way to exercise them was by using a charity to do so, then so be it.
So many dogs live with perfectly fit and healthy owners who fail to exercise their dogs so why pick on the elderly and infirm who have no choice in the matter.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Whilst I think the idea of people volunteering to help out others is great - I can't agree that this Labrador is in a good long-term situation. As a short-gap illness solution I think it's a good idea but I can't see that it's a good long-term solution at all.

This person (the dog walker) sees that if they are walking the dog every now and then (hopefully every day at least) it is all fine. But I see it as a dog in a home where its needs cannot be met and won't ever be met. And that long-term the elderly couple should be looking to rehome the dog to a more suitable home. Am I just being mean and nasty?!

Many dogs are poorly cared for by their owners in a number of ways, malnourished/ill treated/left alone all day and while allowing a dog to get overweight is not a good thing to do and may cause all sorts of health problems the dog may at least be loved and well cared for in other respects and better off than many .

Peoples circumstances change, I think we need to make allowances for this. No one expects to get ill and for those confined to the house all day a dog can make a huge difference to their overall well being.

With so many dogs already in rescue would it be helpful to add another maybe elderly dog and possibly deprive someone of a much loved companion.

People sometimes forget agencies like the RSPCA are there to help and advise and I know they assisted a neighbour of mine who had mental health problems.

If I was the dog walker I would try to get someone to talk to the owners of the dog about diet/play and mental stimulation rather than considering any other kind of
draconian measures.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >