View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 04:16 PM

Freedom project - The Pudding has landed!

Pudding arrived at 12 yesterday afternoon. I was totally shocked about his size. He is extremely overweight and it's breaking my heart whenever I look at him. I'm not judging th owner because I don't know what she has been going through, but I really feel for the dog. He's so overweight that you can't really see his 'tackle'. We've got him on Arden Grange light and he's getting it split into two meals a day. He's done surprisingly well eating most of it today - he's used to just having his bowl constantly filled and eating whenever he feels like.

Last night he was no bother whatsoever. I put his bed on the landing - the bedroom is too small for all of us - but he decided to spend the night on the sofa. I didn't hear a eep out of him all night and he's had no accidents in the house. I came down at 7.30 this morning to find Pudding and my OH sleeping on the sofa together!

Bryan has been grumpy with Pudding, but it's because Bryan has an upset tummy. He's feeling a bit better today and has managed to eat a little bit. So hopefully they'll get on fine in time.

We met all the dogs on the field this morning and they had a lovely run around together. Pudding's recall is very good so I've been able to let him offlead already.

We're going to the vet tomorrow to get him weighed, restart his vaccinations, get him womred and flead and get some glucosamine for him. He has a bad hip score and his back paws seem to turn out slightly. He's pretty sprightly for such a large dog though. I've been walking slowly with him and he seems to be loving the countryside and fresh air. We were out for an hour and a quarter this afternoon (with a few rests).

I feel like I'm being spoiled with this dog - it's a totally different experience to the two staffies. While I adore Tilly and thought Z was lovely, they were hard work. I also don't have the added complication of people running screaming for the hills when they see me coming - the reaction towards a black lab is much different.

I'll write again when we've been to the vets and let you all know how much he weighs. It'll be a lot
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 04:44 PM
aww he sounds lovely
and I am sure you will get the weight off in no time - if you can resist those big brown eyes - labs are grrreeat at begging
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 04:48 PM
Awwww he sounds lovely, such a shame you can't post pics. I think this boy was meant to be with you though. Hope Bryan settles once his tummy does!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Awww, he does sound gorgeous.

Just a note of warning from someone who has experience of a severely overweight dog - don't let him do too much at first even if he really is enjoying himself - his legs (and particularly his hips) won't be able to cope and you could inadvertently do damage.

If you have anywhere where he can swim (river/sea/lakes etc) that would be great exercise for him - he can do lots without the strain on his body - and hopefully, as a lab, he will really enjoy it too.

Good luck with Pudding (hopefully you'll soon be able to change his name to Sorbet - still a pudding but a low fat one LOL)
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Bless him.... you'll soon get the pounds off him, Sarah x
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Such a lovely update. Thanks for keeping us posted xx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 06:42 PM
PMSL at Hali and the sorbet!!!
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Pudding sounds delightful. I'm sure you'll be a godsend to him. x
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

10-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Pudding sounds like a lovely dog, we had a black Lab. once many years ago so I know how they eat.!! I still enjpy reading your blogs and only today our vet said Bara was a tad overweight so I shall follow your words to see if we can get her back to what she should be.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 08:08 PM
he sounds fab, look forward to the updates x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >