register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: how do u secure ur dog in the car?
unsecure on ur lap or in passenger seat 3 6.82%
unsecure in the backseat 2 4.55%
unsecure in the boot 13 29.55%
attatched by lead to seatbelt 0 0%
attatched by car or normal harness to seatbelt 14 31.82%
secured in crate 7 15.91%
in footwell (front of car) 1 2.27%
other please specifiy 4 9.09%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2005, 02:23 PM

car safety

i was just thinking this the other day. If u take ur dogs in the car, where do they sit and how are they secured? if at all?
when indie was little i used to let her sit on my lap which turned into a fast and annoying habit when she got bigger! however, now she has to sit in the back seat with sash with a car harness on thats attatched to the seatbelt.

i see on alot of animal cop programs that they strap the dogs in the back with the lead attatched to the dogs neck but if u crash, then the dogs neck would just snap!

and of course if u have ur dog on ur lap the dog wud go thru the window or u wud crush it, and if its unsecure on back seat, then the dog wud crush u
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2005, 02:27 PM
Teagan used to sit in the boot (no guard, as she didn't try and escape etc).
But now she's better behaved, she sits in the back with a harness on (that clips to the seatbelt).
She just lays down, or watches out of the window.
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2005, 02:28 PM
I have a fiat doblo need a big car for all my crowd they have a dog guard to keep them secure as I always feel that a dog that is free in the car jumping from seat to seat ( see this often ) is a real danger
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2005, 02:34 PM
Well seeing as I dont have my own car, Luna is sitting in the footwell of the passengerseat in front. I have bought a harness that clics into the seatbeltholder, but Luna has always been sitting in the foot, so havent made any changes

When I do get my own car, I think I will invest in a cage for the boot.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2005, 02:35 PM
Hi Jen
we had a custom made crate done for the car- there are two seperate compartments so each has their own space and an escape hatch should (god forbid0 the back of the car be hit and we cant open it then we can release them from inside

Its brilliant and we dont have to worry about them annoying each other or climbing all over the car when trying to drive
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2005, 02:37 PM
I drive a van, and have crates fitted in the back, one for each dog.

Mo
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-05-2005, 02:40 PM
we have an estate so at the moment Star is behind a gate and Finn is on someones knee in the back seat.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2005, 02:43 PM
Unfortunately I'm one of the norty ones! Although Pickles does have a harness he hates it and constantly gets himself in knots when trying to lie down (he does the whole circle turning thing when lying down!) If we go on long journeys I put his basket on the front seat and put the seat belt round it which is a bit better. I have a dog guard for the car but it doesn't fit!!! Will keep it for my next car cos I don't need it with Woody as he couldn't get over the back seat if he tried with those old legs of his!
The worse thing I ever see is people that let dogs sit on the parcel shelf, now that really is madness!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2005, 03:22 PM
I have an estate car with the back seats down and a proper dog guard fitted behind the front seats, so they have all the room they need, but are protected by the dog guard. I don't tie them down with a harness in any way though.
Kerrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2005, 03:25 PM
we have an estate with a dog guard
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >