View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-02-2009, 09:41 AM

Training Whistle Recall for Dog Who Has OK Recall Already?

Hi

I've looked through other whistle training threads so I apologise for starting another one but wondered if I could have your opinions/suggestions please!

Maggie is 2/3 years old. We've had her 6 weeks now and have been letting her off lead for the last week or so at our local playing field. So far her recall has been pretty good but she is a real sniffing dog and goes off after all the scents (and as the snow thaws the scents are getting stronger).

I wondered how I should train her to whistle (not intended as a joke ).
I've bought a Roger Mugford whistle and his instructions say to start by calling her and then blow the whistle and when she comes to reward with something extra yummy. There is no mention of using the whistle at meal times or starting when she is in the garden and calling her in as some training methods suggest.

What do you think is the best way of training a recall to whistle for a dog who already has an ok recall when out?

Thanks in advance!

Jane.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2009, 11:23 AM
When you say OK do you mean she returns every time, iimediately? I use a whistle for emergency recall really, because they`re trained to return no matter what else is going on or if I can`t see them. So I need to train them with the whistle/ treat method until it becomes automatic for the dog to get to me when he hears the whistle. In fact they should start salivating when they hear it. I would teach it as a separate excercise, and never do it (to begin with ) when the dog will possibly ignore it. And do it loads of times - every time she comes to you for instance (indoors and outdoors). So she just HAS to get the treat when she hears the whistle.
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-02-2009, 11:54 AM
[QUOTE=ClaireandDaisy;1600760]When you say OK do you mean she returns every time, iimediately? QUOTE]

Hi

She usually comes when called, although it's not 100% and if she is more interested in a smell she's following then she is harder to recall and I have to run around waving my arms and squeaking at her to get her attention (and generally looking like a wally). It's not always an instant recall.

Thanks for your comments though. I think you're right and I'll start it as a separate exercise from scratch.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2009, 01:35 PM
if she`s following her instincts to hunt it might be an idea to use that drive for training. See if she`ll get obsessed with a tuggy toy that you can use for a reward (exciting play) teaching retrieve, and playing loads of Finding games so she sees you as part of the fun.
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-02-2009, 01:54 PM
We're teaching her how to play as I think her last home mustn't have ever let her have any toys as she is unsure what to do with them!
We took some out with us yesterday but she is totally uninterested in them when there are things to explore.
It's why we thought maybe a whistle would be a good idea to try. I think she has the ability to become a very responsive dog, it's me who has to learn how to make that happen, and that's the challenge.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2009, 02:01 PM
I`ve had 2 like that - it took 6 months to get the first one to play / respond, and we`re still working on Shamus! So good luck.
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Thanks for that. And thanks for taking the time to respond.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2009, 05:37 PM
You can do a lot of the recall training indoors(even sitting down )

Obviously if you are going to use a whistle you won't be doing watching TV

I always say that dogs don't have to be taught to actually do anything, they have to learn to do it when commanded to & this includes recall.

You can teach the sit in front(in order to put the lead on-not an obedience type present in front)simply rewarding her when she comes to you & sits near you, give the verbal command as she starting to sit & then treat her. People think I'm crazy because I conversations with my dogs whilst training them. I got in to the habit many years ago. If one of my dogs is "in training"& does a nice sit & reward & then ask them if they can do it again & do a "nice sittie"If they comply they get treated & loads of praise. If my dogs come to me I ask them to sit & then treat & praise.

I always end training on a positive note & never overdo the training rather than repeating exercises endlessly so limit it to 5-10 minutes at a time. Less is more I think is the saying
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Thanks JoedeeUK. It is quite tempting to keep going with longer training sessions but I can see when she gets bored so I've no doubt it'll be better to keep them shorter.
She's doing well given that I don't think anyone had done anything with her previously.

Glad to hear you have conversations with your dogs too when out and about. I sometimes find it better to talk to Maggie than to humans.....she listens better .
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Hi Janie.

We taught Woody to come on the whistle by feeding it him meals with it. At each meal time I would carry his bowl into the living room, wait for a sit, then walk back blowing the whistle (we do 3 short sharp for "come"), three times and feed on the third one. Does that make sense?

He was dropping everything and coming straight away within a week. We make sure we reward EVERYTIME he comes when called and probably always will because I think it's one of the most vital lessons they can learn.

HTH
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >