View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Barney'sMum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-12-2012, 05:44 PM

Puppy limping vets tonight or tomorrow morning?

Hi,

Took Barney for an hours walk around the country park this afternoon was fine when he got home but now he is limping on and off either his front or back right leg (he is switching off) he is ok in himself and is still managing to annoy the cat so i don't think its causing him too much pain.

I've had a look and i can;t see any thorns etc stuck or anything obvious and neither leg seems to be swollen.

Should i call the vet out of hours now or wait until the morning i have no issue calling the out of hours service if its needed.

Thanks

Rachel
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Hello Rachel as you have examined the leg/foot and found nothing, unless Barney is in pain I would wait and see how the leg is in the morning.

I would try to prevent Barney from jumping around to much, rest is the best thing.

My dog has limped occasionally but it has always gone in hours.
Barney'sMum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-12-2012, 05:57 PM
I'm sure its nothing but I am a worrier when it comes to him! Annoyingly we are looking after my mums cat and trying to stop him chasing her is a nightmare might have to make him have a cuddle with me on the sofa!
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2012, 05:57 PM
I am sorry to read about Barney limping. If he wasn't limping when you first came back from your walk but is now, it sounds as though he's probably pulled a muscle or tweaked a tendon. It is presumably something that has become apparent after rest. Maybe he just over did it on the walk and has now stiffened up.

If you think he doesn't seem out of sorts (as still worrying the cat) and you can find no puncture mark, I personally would wait for tomorrow and just let him rest for 24 hours, which is what we'd do if we'd pulled something.

Ultimately you must do what you think is the right thing for your dog. Good luck and keep us informed. (((hugs))) for Barney.
Barney'sMum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-12-2012, 06:01 PM
Thanks I think that's what I'll do and as he doesn't even seem to realise he's limping I will take him up as soon as they open in the morning even if its something little a check up never hurts!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by Barney'sMum View Post
I'm sure its nothing but I am a worrier when it comes to him! Annoyingly we are looking after my mums cat and trying to stop him chasing her is a nightmare might have to make him have a cuddle with me on the sofa!
Hi Rachel in this sort of situation or when a dog has had an operation I usually sit on a cushion on the floor with my back against the sofa , the dog is then usually happy to join me for a gentle play or to cuddle up

I hope Barney is better by morning.
Barney'sMum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-12-2012, 06:33 PM
He's fast asleep in his bed atm so fingers crossed he'll get a gd few hours of rest...not that that's normal!
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by Barney'sMum View Post
Hi,

Took Barney for an hours walk around the country park this afternoon was fine when he got home but now he is limping on and off either his front or back right leg (he is switching off) he is ok in himself and is still managing to annoy the cat so i don't think its causing him too much pain.

I've had a look and i can;t see any thorns etc stuck or anything obvious and neither leg seems to be swollen.

Should i call the vet out of hours now or wait until the morning i have no issue calling the out of hours service if its needed.

Thanks

Rachel
I think I am right in thinking Barney is only 6 months old. If that is the case then an hours walk is far too long for him and that could be why he is limping. He should be having 30 mins at the moment so you don't put too much stress on his young joints.
I don't think you need to rush him to the vets tonight, I would just keep him very quiet and resting and then reassess him in the morning.
I hope he soon improves for you, they can be such a worry can't they.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2012, 12:11 AM
Half an hours walk is ample at 6 months. He's probably over-taxed himself and a good night's rest will see him right. If it gets worse, of course, or he's still limping tomorrow, then he will need to go see the vet