Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 06:13 PM

Anyone know what Lupus is?

I had a hospital appointment this afternoon, I had to have about a gallon of blood taken well about 8 of those tube things full, and one of the things he's now testing for is Lupus, does anyone have any experience of this or know what it is. Thanks

Christine
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 06:23 PM
Hi Christine, I think It is a skin disease, but off to search now Hope you not feeling too bad after having all that blood taken x

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles...?articleId=491
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Yes Christine I've had those tests!!!! They did it wrong the first time around at my local doctor's, when they took 9 phials of blood, I nearly passed out and I had to come home and lay on the floor and put my feet on the sofa for an hour!!!! Be careful, they said that's more blood than when you give as a donor!!!

Anyway, 2nd time around they did it at the hospital, because it's a test which HAS to be done straight away, the blood won't keep otherwise for this particular test. It turns out I am borderline lupus, when in actual fact I was tested for "sticky blood" because of my brother having this condition. I then got a letter saying it's nothing to worry about because I don't have full blown lupus yet, but it's borderline I immediately looked it up and it's not good is it!!!

This could point to WHY I had anaphalactic shock when taking an antibiotic 3 years ago. Apparently, it ends up with the body fighting everything including itself - so I'm waiting for that bit!!!

I'm very interested in this, so please can you keep me informed as to how your test goes and what they tell you please????? I can't tell you anymore I'm afraid, only that I suggest you ask them (which they'll probably do anyway) to let you lie down in the chair/bed thingy when they take all of that blood, and sit you up slowly. Make sure you drink plenty of water before you go and have something light to eat, because I didn't and they said that's why I went like I did. It was awful, I thought I was going to faint when she got to the last phial and she asked me to hang on in there otherwise she'd have to start again, but even then she was doing it all wrong!!!! Grrrrrrr!!!!

Good luck I will be thinking of you and please let us know how you get on.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 06:25 PM
I think Lupis is an autoinmune disease , You could check out a website site called www.lupisuk.com it might give you the information your looking for xxdk
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 06:26 PM
its to be with immune system

http://www.healthscout.com/ency/68/1...riptionofLupus
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 07:16 PM
One of my best friends has Lupus & it is an autoimmune disease-one of the symptoms can be a rash on the face so can be thought of as a skin disease but it is way more than that, my friend takes regular medication & has injections(but don't ask me what because I can't remember)as well
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 07:56 PM
The "butterfly rash" that spreads across the nose and face is pretty distinctive. My friend had it too.
As you say Joedee it is far more than a skin complaint.
Good luck with your next round of tests CLMG, keep us informed.
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Thanks guys I've had a quick read up and I think I'll tell the doctors I don't want it some of the symptom are very familiar though, I'm not sure when I get the result, but I'm back to see the other consultant soon-ish, so maybe then
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-02-2008, 08:29 PM
My Sister has had this for over 20 years she gets very depressed has sore joints and it affects he immune system.
she was first thought to have malaria except she had never been abroad. She has been on quinine tablets for the past 20 years. She also had the rash on her face.
That has now cleared with the chemo she had for cancer.
Lupus makes you very tired also.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 08:57 PM
Shall keep my fingers crossed for you that you don't have it *hugs*
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >