View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 09:21 PM

Would finances ever influence vet treatment for your animals?

Some of you will have read my other threads today which have left me very angry and upset.Without repeating myself, I would like to know if financial difficulties ( not extreme) would ever be THE deciding factor in proceeding with vet treatment? If the vet advised to carry out the treatment would you have the animal PTS due to financial constraint?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 09:26 PM
Only if I had no other choice, I know not all vets do it but all the ones I've been with have been quite happy to take payment over time for treatment, usually though you have to have a good payment history with them.
Becky
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Only if I had no other choice, I know not all vets do it but all the ones I've been with have been quite happy to take payment over time for treatment, usually though you have to have a good payment history with them.
Becky
Same here, my vet is very good if something is going to be rather expensive at letting you pay in installments etc.

However, I wouldn't have an animal PTS due to financial constraints. I'd not want to say "never" though, as you don't know what situation you might be in.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 09:32 PM
No, never, I would beg, borrow or steal (if it came to that), to get my dog the treatment it needed.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 09:37 PM
It would depend upon what was wrong with the dog. Likely success rates for the treatment and so on.

Not under normal circumstances though. For instance Bailey my Irish Setter had an expensive operation just last week. I paid the £1168.56 bill with my credit card. He's worth the world to me.

Dawn R.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 09:37 PM
No they would never be for me, however Max is insured so touch wood I would never be in that position.

I do strongly believe though that if you cannot afford to take care of your animals properly then it is unfair to have them. I'm certainly not trying to suggest that only rich people should have pets but all pet owners should be in a position to get treatment for their pet, be it through their own vet or through a charity such as the PDSA.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-08-2007, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
No, never, I would beg, borrow or steal (if it came to that), to get my dog the treatment it needed.
My thoughts exactly.

Storm cost me 2 holidays for his treatment and Stars treatment may have cost me my camping trip in september. But does it matter to me, no as they are the most important things to me and If it means i go without to give them a happier life I will do
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 09:49 PM
Would a vet actually agree to put down an animal just because of money though???

Money doesn't matter when it comes to treating animals. WE can be horrified by the bill but it doesn't matter...they do.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 10:07 PM
I am in a position that whatever the cost I could pay, but sadly there are a lot of owners who are not in that position. Things may have been different when they first had their pet, but circumstances can change. I have read a few posts recently where this has happened and the owners are now struggling financialy. Sometimes it is just impossible to keep paying if it is going to be an ongoing expensive treatment. I just would hate to be in that position but I would never condemn anyone who had to make that decision because of their financial situation.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 10:15 PM
As you know Poppy had her litter at the vets recently, 3 visits total bill just over £1200, plus the loss of two pups, unfortunately we have to have faith in our vets and get the treatment as recommended - even if it's wrong - I would also beg, borrow, or use a credit card if we really had to, no matter how much.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »