Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MissyPink
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-07-2006, 10:37 AM

Mily keeps snapping!!! (SBT)

When Mily gets over excited she starts snapping. She's 3 months old now.

How can i calm her down and not get her to snap?
Loustaff
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-07-2006, 10:50 AM
in what situations is she getting over excited? my pup used to nip but we used to let out a yelp and walk away, he soon learnt it wasnt appropriate.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-07-2006, 10:55 AM
You need to try to prevent situations in which over-excitement occurs and you also need to teach your pup bite inhibition

If you use the Dogsey search facility and type in the keywords bite inhibition you will find a lot of information.
MissyPink
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-07-2006, 11:13 AM
She starts snapping as soon as i wake up in the mornings and when i've come back from being out.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2006, 11:18 AM
You could try the 5 min rule. That is when you enter a room after being out, waking in the morning, being to the loo whatever, just ignore her until she is calm and settled and/or until you have time to play, stoke, cuddle her. This may take longer than 5 mins especially with a puppy. The thing to remember is to be consistent. Always ignore her at first until she is calm. If when you then play with her she get excited and starts to nip just get up and walk away. Hope this works for you
MissyPink
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-07-2006, 11:34 AM
I do ignore her first thing in the morning and when i've returned from being out, but as soon as i do greet her, i kneel down she gets that excited as if she has no control!! Even when she's playing in the garden, i'll call her too me and she comes belting in, she greets me and again she'll start snapping!!!

Thanks for the advice guys, will let you know how i'm getting on.