Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2013, 09:59 PM

Too few teeth? Or too many teeth?

Sooo... I was taking a look at the dogs mouths and I noticed something odd. Jade has far fewer teeth than Nigredo does.

Note, these teeth didn't fall out... it's clear that they never existed to begin with as you can see both sides of her mouth are identical. Her teeth are also smaller than his. Her head is bigger and her jaw is far stronger, so it's weird.

Jade is a GSD/pit bull of nearly 11 years and Nigredo is a mystery Lab mutt of nearly a year old.

So... just curious. Does she have too few teeth? Or does he have too many? Does breeds have something to do with it? Maybe the woman who bred her removed the teeth? I really do not know.

As far as I knew, all dogs have the same amount of teeth, just like people.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2013, 11:19 PM
Imagine its just because Jade is older,general wear and tear Could possibly have lost a few without you even noticing,over time through chewing etc.
Could be wrong Myra of course,maybe a completely different explanation for it.Not sure what age you got Jade?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2013, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
Imagine its just because Jade is older,general wear and tear Could possibly have lost a few without you even noticing,over time through chewing etc.
Could be wrong Myra of course,maybe a completely different explanation for it.Not sure what age you got Jade?
Jade was gotten by my mom at 4 1/2 weeks. The breeder was going to drown the runt, and my mom felt sorry for her.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-12-2013, 11:58 PM
There are various reasons why an individual might not develop particular adult teeth.

That said - look up missing premolars. Breeding can have a say.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2013, 12:42 AM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
There are various reasons why an individual might not develop particular adult teeth.

That said - look up missing premolars. Breeding can have a say.
I did look up missing premolars, thanks for the suggestion. I didn't see any dogs with their UPPER premolars missing, only the bottom ones. Oh, well. It's just weird to me. As she's an older dog, I'm sure it's not doing her any harm
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

06-12-2013, 01:07 AM
No harm at all

My Fingal had teeth missing.

OK he was a bonkers Springer and his favourite toy was rocks but he just had a lot of 'gummage'.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2013, 07:16 AM
Haha, Phil. Thanks for the little giggle.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2013, 07:24 AM
It's not uncommon in some breeds to have missing premolars.

Doesn't hurt in pet dogs but would think it would affect a dog hunting for it's food!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2013, 07:58 AM
As said lots of dogs have missing teeth especially as they age, some just don't develop them.

I don't think it would hold them back when Rosie (Chihuahua) had to have almost all her teeth removed we worried how she would eat, well it never stopped her hard biscuit, meat, sticks she could still manage the lot !
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2013, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
As said lots of dogs have missing teeth especially as they age, some just don't develop them.

I don't think it would hold them back when Rosie (Chihuahua) had to have almost all her teeth removed we worried how she would eat, well it never stopped her hard biscuit, meat, sticks she could still manage the lot !
Jade has never had trouble eating. Her jaw is rather strong and she does just fine.

Her teeth are in very good condition for an old dog, and she's never had tooth decay or anything like that.

I don't think it's an issue, just was curious as to how some dogs don't have as many teeth as others. Baffled mehhhh
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >