Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-08-2011, 10:48 PM

Last Minutes with Oden.

I stumbled across this via a thread on another forum - it's about an owner taking an elderly dog to be pts, and his admission that he'd kept the dog alive longer than he should have due to his own fears about missing the dog.

It's incredibly moving, and incredibly sad - tears were rolling down my face.

I can't explain why I think it's appropriate to post such a link, but I hope I'll have the courage to recognise when the time has come for my old boy - I always say I won't let him suffer unnecessarily.

http://www.vimeo.com/8191217
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-08-2011, 03:13 AM
We had to have our 21 year old pts at easter. Even in the vets surgery, I was asking if there was any medication for her. Old age, and arthritis. No quality of life, but I was still clinging on at the very last minute............

Its losing a member of your family isn't it...
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2011, 04:30 PM
As soon as we knew what was wrong with Cherry I rang the vets to come out and have her put to sleep with dignity at home. It is the most kind, unselfish thing you can do for your dog rather than let them suffer.

The vet said something to Jamie that he tells other people with elderly dogs now "Better a day too early than a day too late"

He is also telling people how much better it is to have your dog put to sleep at home as the experience was so much better than when we had our last dog put to sleep at the vets. I guess this depends on the vet and the dog however.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-08-2011, 11:32 PM
Kerry

Depends on the vet obviously.....

Dad had his pts in the garden... Great big white Lab. Vet let her fall to the ground.... just like an elephant.=

No dignity there.

Deb x
WheatenDaneMom
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-08-2011, 04:09 AM
My father had to put down our family pet a few months ago. She had a tumor on her brain and it was affecting her nervous system amongst other things. She was disorientated, having seizures, growling at family members, restless... it was time. My father dug her grave before he left for the vet... hardest thing to dig a grave as your dog watches you. It makes me cry thinking about it. We all went to the vet together (even though I am grown and don't live at home) so we could be there for her. The vet did it in the truck because she was comfortable there. No matter how many times you lose a pet, it never gets easier.
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-08-2011, 10:18 AM
omg how sad is that, yes i did well up, and as a first time dog owner im dreading this moment coming. Thanx for sharing MichaelM
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 10:40 AM
What a heartbreaking but well made snippet into an awful day. Sweet dreams Oden, crying tears here
Kiing
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-08-2011, 07:18 PM
I saw this a while ago, very sad video.