Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2013, 01:15 AM

Talking To The Dog

My OH made me some raised beds today,used to do pots but they are rather heavy and cumbersome.So when he came in,I made a cup of tea,he wanted to watch the football,but I wanted to run past him my ideas for the new beds.So started chatting to him,then realised he wasnt listening,so I said you are not listening to a word I have said,Holly the dog would at least listen,he turned around and said you are always talking to the dogs, I just want to watch this match,so left him to it.
But I thought about it,I do talk to the dogs,as my OH is a radio ham,so find myself talking to the dogs about everything,(I know the white van will be along shortly,men in white coats)but funnily enough I get the sense they are listening,and some dogs just like people are good listeners,you can tell them anything,my older dog leans into me when I am chatting to her,where as the puppy is never still enough to listen.They do not judge or repeat,and you feel that you have shared,even if you dont get a reply,but sometimes when I run things by Holly,like a rehearsal she places her paw on my knee as if giving me the OK.If you are alone do you find yourself chatting to the dogs,I know some actors run their lines through the dogs and some dogs are quite expressive,and will put there head down paws over the ears and give you that look not that again,but would rather die then admit that they learn their lines via the dog.But it is nice to have a companion,who at least seems to listen,rather than the OH who is only listening half heartly.Gemini54
IceCody
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-05-2013, 02:19 AM
I do this too. I only live with my almost 12 yr old son and he has school, friends and stuff so most of the time my only company are my dogs.
I also tend to ramble about stuff and my poor pooches are always on the receiving end of it
I got a bad memory so it helps me to rembemer what I need to do by talking about it.
But they donīt seem to mind and Leo always responds to what I say with a tailwag and cocking his head.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2013, 07:24 AM
Hi I do think some dogs do understand,it is very wrong to assume they can't understand our language.In South Africa they have a saying the baboons sit up on the hill all day watching the farmers,and when the farmers finish,they go down and raid the farmers say if they catch a baboon talking they will set them to work.Gemini54
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2013, 08:04 AM
I talk to Lacey all the time, heck I' ve even ended a sentence with.....so what do you think?My OH works away during the week,BLISS,girls at school, so it's just me and my bud!
s7eph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-05-2013, 09:29 AM
If i didnt talk to the dogs i'd not talk to anybody for days !!
my old huskey used to talk back to me xxx
and we used to understand each other !!!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2013, 09:58 AM
We had in institute a system whereby I say my husbands name before speaking to him or he assumes it's just me talking to the dogs. So if he doesn't hear his name it's not for him LOL
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-05-2013, 12:05 PM
I live on my own and talk to my dogs and cat all the time. Each morning whilst I'm having my first cup of tea I'll "discuss" with them what we'd all like to do for the day. If we're staying at home the dogs will follow me around "helping" me to do the housework.

They're so funny because when I tell them I'm going to the loo the pair of them troop after me into the toilet and sit next to me until I've finished! Chloe even puts her paws onto the toilet seat to make sure the loo's flushing properly!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
I live on my own and talk to my dogs and cat all the time. Each morning whilst I'm having my first cup of tea I'll "discuss" with them what we'd all like to do for the day. If we're staying at home the dogs will follow me around "helping" me to do the housework.

They're so funny because when I tell them I'm going to the loo the pair of them troop after me into the toilet and sit next to me until I've finished! Chloe even puts her paws onto the toilet seat to make sure the loo's flushing properly!
Never any doubt about who I am talking to most of the time - there's no one else here but the dawg!

My little min pin doesn't come into the bathroom with me when I use the loo (she does when I am bathing or showering coz she'd like to get in too!) but, living in an apartment on my own, I never bothered to close the door. This resulted in her scratching at it and barking when I did close it when I had anyone staying with me! So I'd quickly open it and let her inside to shut her up! Same when I am visiting anyone else - she gets very anxious if I shut myself in their bathrooms.

I like to keep the place properly aired out so usually have them all 'clipped' wide open. But I am working on having some doors closed at times now. Not sure I can be bothered to persevere with this however as it is not a problem most of the time. Right now, she is asleep on my bed next door and will often plonk herself in a room away from me. Seems it is just the 'closed doors' she doesn't like!
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
We had in institute a system whereby I say my husbands name before speaking to him or he assumes it's just me talking to the dogs. So if he doesn't hear his name it's not for him LOL
LOL I said yesterday ' what have I told you about leaving stuff in the garden, go pick up your toys'

Promptly both dog and OH went to clean up the stuff they had left out there! LOL

And last night I said I think it's time for me to go to bed - dog straight away got off sofa in living room and in my bed before I'd got up!

He definitely understands so it's fine that we have conversations, right!?
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2013, 12:29 PM
My OH is always calling out 'what did you say?' at which I invariably reply, 'It's OK I'm talking to the dogs' I drive him mad

I also talk to them when I'm out walking them. If one starts to pull, I can hear myself saying 'that is not acceptable behaviour' .... or whatever, I just hope to goodness neighbours don't here me.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >