Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-09-2006, 09:44 AM

Do breeds benefit from showing?

Can anyone tell me what possitives a show brings to a breed? I know off lots off breeds being ruined by breeding for shows but i cannot mention 1 breed that has benifitted from shows.

Greetings

Johan
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 09:59 AM
What breeds have been ruined by showdog breeding?

Roxys mother was a pedigree showdog, she was not bred purely for the pups to then be shown, however I personally think Roxy is an excellent example of a Dobermann.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-09-2006, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Heldengebroed View Post
Can anyone tell me what possitives a show brings to a breed? I know off lots off breeds being ruined by breeding for shows but i cannot mention 1 breed that has benifitted from shows.

Greetings
Johan
Hi Johan I can see many positives,dogs shows are a place where one can go to learn about a breed/ talk to breeders/ view the best examples of a breed/view stud dogs/find out about litters due and have a jolly good day out

Dog showing may not be your sort of thing but then I can't see any 'positives' in teaching dogs to attack people for fun but each to his own..
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 10:55 AM

Greetings

Johan
Show dogs as a whole have by definition to have good temperaments A nervous or agressive dog will never(in the UK)do really well. They have to allow strangers to examine & be in close proximity to other dogs(usually of the same sex) & behave This is why people are recommended to look for a pet from a responsible show breeder

I regularly see lots pet bred GSDs of very poor character & that to me says it all
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-09-2006, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by DobieGirl View Post
What breeds have been ruined by showdog breeding?

Roxys mother was a pedigree showdog, she was not bred purely for the pups to then be shown, however I personally think Roxy is an excellent example of a Dobermann.

What about english buldog, Yorkshire, bobtail, Bouvier des Flandres, GSD, Irish setter, etc None of these dogs from showlines can perform thier "job". The English Bulldog can't even walk properly.
In the Dutch refference for breeds "Toupouls hondenenceclopedie" stands a drawing of a Bulldog from 18.. somthing. Noway does it looks like the bulldogs off today. Even the doberman who used to be a "hard" dog capable off working in hard continental conditions has become a "softy" tormented with genetic problems.
In westminster USA a australian sheppard was crowned champion even though everyone knew that his hips were crap.
The Bouvier des flandres coat has been ruined by 1 Dutch showbreeder in the 70's

Do you need other excemples
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 11:20 AM
Isn't that just evolution???
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Johan I can see many positives,dogs shows are a place where one can go to learn about a breed/ talk to breeders/ view the best examples of a breed/view stud dogs/find out about litters due and have a jolly good day out

Dog showing may not be your sort of thing but then I can't see any 'positives' in teaching dogs to attack people for fun but each to his own..

If i want to see a new breed i go to several breeders who "work" their dogs. I don't mind traveling several thousends off miles in a periode off several months and spending hours talking to "old-timers" about the breed, what it is about how it works and what thier strong and weak points are.

And for me teaching my dogs to "attack"

first: i don't teach my dogs civil attacks
second: i can in the case that he would decide to charge do a recall within the last meter or so. Can you do that with your dog?
Thirth: If it wasn't for people like me there wouldn't be any suitable dogs for securityforces worldwide. If that isn't a possitive point i don't know what is.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-09-2006, 11:45 AM
And for me teaching my dogs to "attack"

first: i don't teach my dogs civil attacks
second: i can in the case that he would decide to charge do a recall within the last meter or so. Can you do that with your dog?
Thirth: If it wasn't for people like me there wouldn't be any suitable dogs for securityforces worldwide. If that isn't a possitive point i don't know what is.
..no I can't recall my dog 'from a charge' because I would never teach a dog to charge in the first place what you choose to do with your dogs is up to you, as I said previously each to his own...

As for dog show breeding being responsible for ruining breeds, I lay that at the door of puppy farmers/people who breed irresponsibly (many of whom will never have been to a dog show)/people who do not know anything about a breed or take account of the breed standards but still breed and those who breed purely for money.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 11:49 AM
I think thats up to the training, not the breed? My sisters OH can do this with his GSD, in fact he can get him to lie down within inches of the target. The GSD's parents have no working background, its just time and patience?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 11:59 AM
I hate to say it but I do aort of a tiny bit see Heldenggebroed's post...the part about SOME breeds being ruined by being 'shown'....
The Bulldog is a perfect example of it, there are also many other breeds who have problems because of being intensively bred for a specific trait, bulldogs can barely walk or breath as a result. I'm not saying that 'showing' is entirely to blame, there are irreputable breeders who do not show and who have paid no attention to temperament or health when breeding, BUT there are breeders who 'show' that have helped to damage the health and well being of their breed.
Surely it would be naive to think that everyone that shows is in it just to furthur their breed and have a nice day out??? There is good and bad in every group and I can't see that people who show would be any different. Some of them are irreputable and have contributed to long term helath and temperament issues in a number of breeds.
I'm not anti showing, I don't really have a view one way or the other to be honest, I just think bad breeding is everywhere, including in those people wo show.
Sorry.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »