View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sereneangel
New Member!
Female 

16-07-2009, 04:19 PM

Fleas! Treated today, what to expect now.

Hi

I know I probably sound ridiculous but I have never encountered fleas with a dog before! My previous doggie (a Yorkie) just never got fleas!!

I have had Benny for a year and a half and he is a Corgi/Fox Terrier Cross (a real character).

Noticed him nibbling his paws/legs, scratching his back towards the end of last week. Couldn't see any fleas. Then saw two fleas yesterday. Used Frontline about 9.45 this morning (I hope as Benny decided to move as I put it on).

This afternoon I have spotted fleas on top of his coat and on his face (filthy little beasts!), and I removed about 6 fleas and seen a few more. Are they on the move because of the Frontline?

Will I see dead fleas in his coat if the Frontline has worked?

The lounge and dining room gets vacuumed everyday but I am going to do it this evening as well as the bedrooms. Is there a spray that anyone would recommend for the house? What about the garden, do I need to spray in the garden as well?

Poor Benny is so miserable......and so am I!!!!

Many thanks.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by sereneangel View Post
Hi

I know I probably sound ridiculous but I have never encountered fleas with a dog before! My previous doggie (a Yorkie) just never got fleas!!

I have had Benny for a year and a half and he is a Corgi/Fox Terrier Cross (a real character).

Noticed him nibbling his paws/legs, scratching his back towards the end of last week. Couldn't see any fleas. Then saw two fleas yesterday. Used Frontline about 9.45 this morning (I hope as Benny decided to move as I put it on).

This afternoon I have spotted fleas on top of his coat and on his face (filthy little beasts!), and I removed about 6 fleas and seen a few more. Are they on the move because of the Frontline?

Will I see dead fleas in his coat if the Frontline has worked?

The lounge and dining room gets vacuumed everyday but I am going to do it this evening as well as the bedrooms. Is there a spray that anyone would recommend for the house? What about the garden, do I need to spray in the garden as well?

Poor Benny is so miserable......and so am I!!!!

Many thanks.
hi
yes you will see sick and dying fleas as the frontline works,if you have seen fleas on your boy it is worth spraying your house as well,as they dont live on your dog,they live in the enviroment and then hop on for dinner (hoovering does nothing,but if you get a house spray,spray it inside the hoover bag) no you do not need to spray the gardenhappy critter zapping.
susi226
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-07-2009, 05:42 PM
I would also recommend you use a flea collar in the vacuum, just kills off remaining fleas and incase the eggs hatch?
Dont forget to treat the car!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by susi226 View Post
I would also recommend you use a flea collar in the vacuum, just kills off remaining fleas and incase the eggs hatch?
Dont forget to treat the car!
no need to use one in the vacum,get a specific house spray and use that at the same time as treating the house.most house sprays treat the larvae and eggs!
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-07-2009, 06:19 PM
The frontline will kill the adult fleas as they will no longer be able to live on him and they need a host to survive, so if you have any other pets youll need to treat them too. It's the eggs you have to worry about as they drop off and can stay dormant in carpets/bedding/etc for up to a year and then reinfect him. you'll need to treat all carpet in the rooms that he goes into, wash all bedding and furnishings etc. most vets sell sprays for killing fleas in the house. i wouldnt worry about the garden as any eggs out there will die over the winter, but I would keep his frontline up to date until the cold weather comes back just in case sucks to have fleas eh? If he's not wormed I'd also do that now as fleas play a part in the lifecycle of tapeworms, when you find one you often find the other.
sereneangel
New Member!
Female 

16-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Just a quick thank you for the advice it is very much appreciated.

Thank you to Reisu for mentioning worms. Will get Benny wormed.

Many thanks.