View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 11:10 PM

reverse sneeze for dogs - laryngospasm for humans?

Last night I had the most frightening experience......woke up, coughed once or twice, then suddenly I couldn't breathe in. I was making the most horrendous strained gasping noise which woke husband, and together we became very stressed indeed He was all for calling an ambulance, but thank goodness he didn't because after about a minute it was all over.

I now know what it was, and if it happens again won't assume that I am dying The thing is, it seems to me that it was a lot like reverse sneezing in dogs, and if it IS the same thing then the human information might help to explain it a little, i.e.:

Something irritates the throat around the larynx, which makes it think that there is a foreign body about to pass into the lungs, and causes it to close up. Once closed, virtually no air can pass through to the lungs, hence the strained intake of breath and horrendous noise. It rarely lasts more than 60 seconds, and unless it happens very frequently there is no medical action necessary.

Does anyone know if this IS the same thing as reverse sneezing?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 08:24 AM
No idea, sorry.

Sounds like a terrifying experience!

*Hugs* hon.....

x0x