Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2010, 02:48 PM

Puppy eaten a lot of cat food

bandit managed to get upstairs and eaten a lot of cat biscuits no i have managed to block the stairs until I can get my stair gate back. But he is really loose to the point of its now jelly like. Last night it was just a pool of poo. I wanted to starve him last nite but OH was insisting on feeding him so he had one scrambled egg. I didnt feed him this morning. Any futher suggestions on what I should do now?
ATD x
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2010, 02:53 PM
.... dont feed him for 24 hours ,then skinless boneless boiled chicken
Tinglesnark
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-12-2010, 02:56 PM
oh no! little monkey!! could you starve him for 24 hrs but offer some sugar water to keep hydrated? good luck!
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2010, 03:09 PM
thanks for the replies, will do and the sugar water trick I havent used before. He has belly ach I think because he taken himself off to the cage for a lie down bless him. but he wont learn keeps trying to get up the stairs.
ATD x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2010, 03:12 PM
First of all don't panic, dogs do not have to eat every day, they were designed to gorge and fast.

Secondly, scrambled egg is possibly one of the worst things to feed a dog or human with the squits, as with an upset tum the eggs curdle and no animal post weaning should be consuming milk, especially when dogs are quite often casein (milk protein) intolerant and lactose (milk sugar intolerant).

The best thing to do is fast the dog, making sure it is drinking, you can always add something like Lectade to water to ensure his electrolytes are balanced (useful to keep in First Aid Tin).

Then give live yoghurt (because this is pre digested by bacteria, this is usually ok for dogs) with a banana (this provides the optimum mixture of prebiotics and probiotics) with some slippery elm or tree bark powder (Hilton Herbs or Dorwest Herbs) to soothe the gut.

I do not know how old your dog is, but if it is a puppy, if it is not ok within 24 hours take to vet, otherwise a couple of days provided it is not dehydrated (tent test)

HTH
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
thanks for the replies, will do and the sugar water trick I havent used before. He has belly ach I think because he taken himself off to the cage for a lie down bless him. but he wont learn keeps trying to get up the stairs.
ATD x
A baby gate perhaps?

My dogs always get into the cat food (well the neighbours cats) but I suppose wet food is different to biscuits - not done them any harm except a bit of runny poo then they're fine

But everyone else has given you great advice
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Bandit is 11 weeks old. He is drinking plenty. if the dish is empty he lets me know by dragging it across the floor. quiet a cute sight as he is little and the dish is a mixing bowl lol.

while I was at the flat and the cats were at my mum and dads I lent the baby gate to a friend so getting it back tomorrow lol.

ATD x
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2010, 07:05 PM
The jelly in the poo is a sign of colitis, but it should calm pretty quickly if you take the advice to starve for 24 hours.

Make sure liquids are still ingested.

Keep us posted please - we love to worry on here
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2010, 07:16 PM
As you already probably know, cat food is really very bad for dogs - cats can eat dog food with little trouble, but the other way round is not so good.

If your chap is no better in the morning then I would seriously consider a trip to the vet. There are ingredients in cat food that are quite harmful to dogs. I have no wish to cause worry, but just had to say something.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
As you already probably know, cat food is really very bad for dogs - cats can eat dog food with little trouble, but the other way round is not so good.

If your chap is no better in the morning then I would seriously consider a trip to the vet. There are ingredients in cat food that are quite harmful to dogs. I have no wish to cause worry, but just had to say something.
harmfull

its usually just far too rich for dogs a few occasions of stealing puss's dinner is gonna give at worse a squity belly....the only worry with that is dehydration and obviously a puppy that has a loose belly for a few days should always be seen by a vet for peace of mind.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >