Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2010, 08:26 PM

Looks like my puppy will be on hold

Well i went to see my stepdad in hospital the other day and i was there for about 45min before a nurse chucked me out as it was not visiting hours lol. But he did turn around to me and say that as Pebbles has been living wiht me for nearly 2mths now and is attatched to Pepsi he doesnt want her back. I couldnt believe what he was saying, im totally and utterly gobsmacked, he adored her when he was living with my mum and i really cant believe he would just say that. It may be because she reminds him a lot of my mum but still, if that was the case he should have said that instead of making up some lame excuse.

So i finally have two dogs now and im one very happy mummy lol
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Hi hun,

I've not been on here for ages and don't know what's up with your dad... but perhaps he's really thinking of Pebbles?

If he's in hospital for a long term condition perhaps he's thinking that without your mum he can't cope with her on his own? Or can't give her the care that she needs.

It's really daunting for a lot of people when their condition worsens to think about caring for their dogs.

He does have a point too... if she's been living with you a long time and you can give her a 'better' lifestyle and Pepsi and Pebbles have become very close, perhaps he really is thinking of Pebbles?

It may have been a really difficult decision but a lot of people will act quite detached once they've made the decision so as not to start reconsidering.

Maybe you could offer to make sure he gets to see her a lot so he's not completely without her? It's going to be very lonely for him to get out of hospital and to a house on his own... I get lonely when I come out of hospital even though I live with someone else and have three dogs, a cat, a rat and a hamster to keep me busy!
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Hi hun,

I've not been on here for ages and don't know what's up with your dad... but perhaps he's really thinking of Pebbles?

If he's in hospital for a long term condition perhaps he's thinking that without your mum he can't cope with her on his own? Or can't give her the care that she needs.

It's really daunting for a lot of people when their condition worsens to think about caring for their dogs.

He does have a point too... if she's been living with you a long time and you can give her a 'better' lifestyle and Pepsi and Pebbles have become very close, perhaps he really is thinking of Pebbles?

It may have been a really difficult decision but a lot of people will act quite detached once they've made the decision so as not to start reconsidering.

Maybe you could offer to make sure he gets to see her a lot so he's not completely without her? It's going to be very lonely for him to get out of hospital and to a house on his own... I get lonely when I come out of hospital even though I live with someone else and have three dogs, a cat, a rat and a hamster to keep me busy!
Its just the way it came about, last time i visited he was pratically begging me to let him have her. I mean i told him i would keep her until he can walk properly again but its just a huge shock. He came out of hosp about 4 days ago an no doubt he will be very lonely in the house by himself.

On the other hand Pebbles does have a much more better life here than she did there, she is losing weight, doesnt get as much human food, actually gets walked now and can now go out for over 2hrs a day compared to the 10 min a day when they had her. But she still lived with Brian for 4 years and i know she would love to go back. I honestly dont think i would want to give her up now even if he changed his mind as she does like it here and i offer a better lifestyle for her now.

Its still upsetting that she lost my mum who was never apart from her for 18 solid years, lost Brian when he went into hospital, its lucky that im still here and take on the extra responsiblitiy, i would never see her going anywhere else other than to me or Brian. Her whole world has been rocked and i hope she feels settled enough in her new home with me so that she can get on with life.

Omg you still feel lonely with all those animals and a husband lol