Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Avani
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-04-2012, 02:15 PM

Seagrass / Natural Carpets for Dogs?

Hey

I am not sure if this should go in the 'home' section, as its related to DIY / Home etc, but also dog related!

I need to replace the carpet in my spare room (tip - don't ever locate a dodgy BARF freezer in a room with a carpet ) Its a bedroom, and being a flat the dogs wander in and out sometimes. The bedrooms are the only carpeted areas of the flat. There's the occasional house training slip up by the youngest if for any reason they are not shut out of these rooms when the house is left empty (teenager brothers! ) and I am also quite clumsy and don't take my shoes off at the door! Plus one of them sleeps in my room.

I want a hard-wearing carpet, thats easy to hoover up dog hair and clean up any mess, and which wont stain. The spare room will also be a therapy room which will (hopefully) get quite a bit of traffic. I like the looks of the natural hard-wearing carpets like Seagrass, Coir, Sissal. I've been informed Sissel will be useless but there's mixed opinions on Seagrass, with some rating and some slatting.

Does anyone have any experience of using these?
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Carpet and dogs ...:O
Avani
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-04-2012, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Carpet and dogs ...:O
Tell me about it lived without carpet in them for years and it was just too cold and noisy
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Those short white hairs get everywhere though ..lol
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2012, 03:57 PM
I found carpet tiles very good. You can stick them under the tap in case of accidents.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2012, 04:20 PM
I'd go for hard flooring and rug.
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-04-2012, 06:43 PM
Good quality vinyl flooring at least 5mm thick and silicone round the skirting to stop drafts. Its surprisngly warm underfoot and much quieter than laminate. the good quality stuff that immitates wood is surprisingly realistic - I used to stifle a laugh when I first had some put down in the living room and guests used to stamp on it, bend down to feel and then be shocked when the secret was out that it was vinyl floor. Then some good quality but cheap carpet offcuts as you could never buy a rug that large or of as good a quality for a few quid. I use them for 6-12 month then whizz the offcut out and get more.
louise!
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Personally I'll always prefer the look of carpet over vinyl or carpet tiles. There's no reason why you can't have an lovely looking home and be a dog owner, and personally I'm not a fan of either in terms of looks or quality. I like the look of the seagrass type carpets and they seem to be quite hardwearing so I'd say go for it
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-04-2012, 08:14 PM
All I can think with sea grass is god help you if your dog has diahorreah on it. And if you have a dog who's hairs weave their way into things, it's a recipe for sending you insane. I chucked at least one rug out that my horsecoat shar-pei ruined because her stabby little hairs completely embedded themselves in the parts that were fancy woven/loop pile. She's been gone nearly a year and I'm still picking the hairs out of my socks with tweezers.

Maybe try a sea grass rug for a few months before committing yourself. Otherwise, a decent quality carpet with scotchguard and/or a Bissell carpet cleaner might be easier to mainatain than seagrass.
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2012, 10:22 AM
DON'T DO IT !!!!

I had a Sisal runner in the hall, lovely it was, went really well with the sanded floor and scarlet walls....until....the late, great Spuddy had the squits one night, all over my lovely rug ( he was trying to be a good boy, it was right at the front door ), there was no way in hell that squitery poo was going to come out and I had to bin it
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >