Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stephen Amos
New Member!
Male 

05-02-2012, 06:03 PM

Passing blood in urine

I have a lovely '3 legged collie', (11 years old, male and entire) in my care at the moment who has been passing quite a large amount of blood in his urine.
This only started at about 11.30am this morning and was quite alarming as it really was extremely evident in quantity. He is in no distress at all. Walking (hopping) for his walk,eating, drinking and happy.
I managed to get a vet eventually and discussed the symptoms and they were happy enough for me to monitor the progress. Fortunately he has drank a decent amount of water today and it has appeared to clear completely.
I have managed to contact the owners also. It will warrant a check up at the vets though.
Has anyone had a similar experience and with such a rapid clear up? PS: No visible cuts at all.
Many thanks. Stephen.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Our older dog (21 yr old) no longer now with us, used to have days where she passed blood.

The vet told us that it can happen when they don't drink enough. She (the dog) was happy enough, no pain or other symptoms, so the vet told us just to keep an eye on her.

But I would offer the advice, that in a younger dog, to have some tests done.

There will be a lot of other members on here who can offer invaluable advice... so keep looking
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Blood in urine rings alarm bells for me. I've had it happen in an elderly bitch, and she had a nasty urinary infection which was sorted with antibiotics from the vet.

Hope you can get your dog's problem sorted....... I would monitor it carefully in case it hasn't just "disappeared", which would be a bit weird......
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-02-2012, 10:36 PM
(11 years old, male and entire) in my care at the moment who has been passing quite a large amount of blood in his urine
Hi Stephen, I would say this problem defiantly requires monitoring/investigation and I would suggest the owner tries to get a sample for the vet to test ASAP .

The fact that there appeared to be 'a rapid clear up' and taking into account the dogs age etc, I would be thinking possibly a prostate condition rather than a UTI but it is best not to speculate and to get it checked out .
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2012, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Stephen, I would say this problem defiantly requires monitoring/investigation and I would suggest the owner tries to get a sample for the vet to test ASAP .

The fact that there appeared to be 'a rapid clear up' and taking into account the dogs age etc, I would be thinking possibly a prostate condition rather than a UTI but it is best not to speculate and to get it checked out .
^^^^^^ Minihaha took my thoughts too, hope they get a sample asap and get their vet to investigate