Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-07-2010, 02:15 PM

Rather hectic morning!

I was on my way back from a job interview when I spotted a border collie wandering around by the side of the road. It had a collar on (no tag) but no owner in sight so I thought perhaps it'd got out of one of the houses on the street. I got out of the car & tried to lure it over with some treats (I didn't want to approach it & scare it off) but it wasn't having any of that so I went and knocked on a few doors. I managed to get hold of two people who basically said that it was always out & about and that they had no idea who it belonged to

Anyway, I couldn't see it anymore so I got back in the car & carried on driving up the road in case it was further up when it darted out from some bushes & rushed across the road in front of a car Thankfully the car stopped & the dog wasn't hurt but I got out the car & decided to try & usher it away from the main road & see if I could find anyone looking for it. I managed to tail it for a while but then it ran down a couple of side streets & I lost it. A couple of people saw me following it and asked me if it was mine so I stopped and chatted to them & told them it wasn't. They said it was always out & one woman even told me she'd seen it out when we had all that snow earlier this year Anyway, they told me where the owner lived so I went and had a nose around & knocked on the door. I got a mouthful of expletives from one bloke living there ('I don't care where the F***ing p*sshead is') and another one went out the door, shouted the dog (Who promptly ran off in the other direction) and then went back inside

I went home, called the police station who redirected me to the dog warden who was out of hours so called the out of hours number which just went straight to voice mail. So I called the RSPCA who gave me another number for the dog warden which, again, just went straight to voicemail. So I called the RSPCA back and their response? 'Oh well we can't do anything. By law this is the dog warden's job'. So I said well it might be the law but the dog is out on the streets now, the dog warden isn't answering & this dog could be dead or could have caused an accident by the time they get back to me. To which they said 'We know it's frustrating but it isn't our job so just keep ringing the dog warden' I know it isn't perhaps their 'job' but they could have been a bit more helpful!

Anyway, I ended up leaving about 5 messages on the out of hours voicemail & finally had them call me back about 10 minutes ago. All they're going to do is go around & talk to the owners. Even though this dog is out all the time & has even supposedly been spotted in the town centre! It's so frustrating, I don't know how so many of you working in rescue can stand dealing with this on a daily basis!
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-07-2010, 02:42 PM
Wonder if this dog is chipped. It might be an idea if you see it again to try and catch it and hand it into rescue as a stray. If it's not chipped at least then it will have the chance to find a decent forever home.

Poor thing
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-07-2010, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by Kalasin View Post
Wonder if this dog is chipped. It might be an idea if you see it again to try and catch it and hand it into rescue as a stray. If it's not chipped at least then it will have the chance to find a decent forever home.

Poor thing
I got the impression it probably wasn't chipped from the way it's owners were talking about it I was in two minds as to whether to try & catch it but it didn't seem too happy with me walking towards it & I was quite worried it might run into the road if I got too close. If I see it out & about again though it might just happen to go 'missing'...