Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CavvieCath
New Member!
Female 

08-10-2005, 03:38 PM

leather sofas

I know this ia kind of dog related but wasn't sure where to post !!

I am wanting to buy 2 leather sofas (dark brown) and I have found the ones I want but not sure to spend £1500 when my spaniels may scratch the leather. Do any other forum folk have dogs and leather suites ?? My spaniels love to curl up with me on my sofa on an evening and Ozzy loves to sit on the back of it and rest his head on my shoulder so they both jump on and off my current sofa alot. They have their claws regulary trimmed at the groomers.

Thank you
patterdale fan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Hi. I recently bought brown leather settees. Not quite as expensive as yours but still a fortune. I have 2 patterdale terriers and a cat and yes they all scratch the leather. I have been using leather cream once a month as recommended by the manufacturer and this does disguise the scratches. The cat's worse because his claws are sharper and they do really pierce the leather. The dogs do scratch it but don't pierce it.

I had fabric settees before these, and they got marked and scratched easier than the leather, so I don't regret getting the leather. I don't believe in keeping my animals off the furniture, they're more special to me than possessions!

I can definately recommend the leather cream if you do go ahead and purchase them. It really works.
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-10-2005, 04:00 PM
I thought the same before I bought my leather sofa and have to say its one of the best buys ever. I've had it 2 years now and there's not a scratch on it and I have 3 staffies jumping on and off it

Great for muddy footprints too, I just wipe mine down with baby wipes and its like new again.
CavvieCath
New Member!
Female 

08-10-2005, 04:05 PM
The sofa shop (John peters) said I could buy an extended guarentee (£250 for 5 years) which covers pet damage....although when i read the leaflet you can only claim once for per damage !!

I have a throw on my current sofa as Ozzy seems to like to lick it when he licks his paws but I dont want to cover up a leather sofa !!

Think it might be better for cleaning up pet hairs too !!

Do any of you leather sofa owners use a dyson vac on your sofa ? I have an animal dyson (DC14) which is great for cleaning my sofa at the moment but would it damage leather ??
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-10-2005, 04:06 PM
I use an animal and its fine
patterdale fan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-10-2005, 04:10 PM
I have dyson and always use the thin pipe thingy for cleaning between cushions. This doesn't mark them at all. I never really realised how hard-wearing leather can be until I bought these. I think you will be surprised how little damage your dogs will do. Especially as the furniture you are buying sound like really good quality.

Probably best to have insurance though, just in case. Ours is included in contents policy.
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2005, 10:01 PM
We also have leather couches and totally love them, easy to clean and very durable - would never choose fabric sofas again after having our leather ones

we have large white throws over them to catch Fern's claws when he tries to jump up - it does the trick
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2005, 10:18 PM
We have leather suite in our lounge in brown its great there recliners too, so comfy. And we dont find them a problem with the dogs and are easy to wipe down and clean
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2005, 10:22 PM
I would definitely have leather sofas next time! Much easier to keep clean and you can always try throws like someone suggested!
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2005, 10:54 PM
We've got cream leather suite too, so far so good, no scratches at all.