Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 09:05 PM

Horse riders...need advice.

Ok all

Tonight my youngest came off her pony for thre first time in a quite lengthy and speedy canter. I know this is likely to happen but just want some opinions.She was wearing her first body protector which is new (first time on) which had been fitted for her and also checked by the instructor prior to the lesson.

She has really hurt her bum, off to one side.The instructor said it was where the protector dug in as she landed.

My question is...Do you all wear protectors? Do they cause impact damage? would she be better off without one until she starts jumping?

Any comments and opinions welcome.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 09:14 PM
I haven't ridden for a very long time - but I would always wear a protector - particularly for jumping and our school encouraged them. I came off a few times once whilst jumping - refused to give in on a particular horse and don't recall any impact damage?

Trying to figure out if the protector is the right size - but you say it was fitted and checked by two people so can't see that was the cause?

Personally I would definitely ensure my kids wore them all the time though.

I would say that perhaps she landed awkard rather than an impact from the protector maybe but not being there hard to say isn't it.

Anyway - hope she is ok and doesn't lose her confidence - they say you become a better rider once you fall off But not sure if that's true.
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 09:34 PM
My grandkids are not allowed to even sit on their pony without hat and bodyprotector. It is second nature now for them to wear them and they never forget to. Just imagine what your youngest could have done if she hadn't had it on. Like rachel I would say that she probably landed awkwardly as opposed to being hurt by the body protector.

Hope she managed to get back on again and that her confidence hasn't been shaken too much.

If her bum carries on hurting it might be a good idea to have her checked out by a doctor.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Aw ell fitted body protector should not cause injury...

Maybe she fell awkward and the injury resulted from that.

When she is wearing her body protector and she is sitting normally, have a feel as to where the bottom of the protector is... it should just cover her coxis..it should go no further down her botton... nor should it push the shoulder pads up..if it is raising up on her it is to big... also the fitting at the front should be jus tunder her ribs.... not to her waist..

I think I would go with keep wearing it , when she is going to be doing any form of cantering or jumping..or even every time she rides... after all thy can fall of when they pony is standing still well if it is like one of old ponies you could
kirstya72
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Horses scare me tbh but my daughter is mad for them
She started wearing a protector as soon as she came off having someone lead her, I think they are a must especially if you fall off at speed. I would think that maybe the angle of a fall could make the bottom part dig in but imo it is still worth wearing one as the more vital parts like the spine will be protected.
Hope this makes sense and your wee one isn't too put off by her fall
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 09:53 PM
she got back on and was lead while trotting. I asked her if it might affect her riding again and her answer was Never! She is sleeping with me tonight. If she is bad tomorrow it might well be a trip to the doctors. She was not in too much pain to miss her mcdonalds out anyway ...
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Caitlin never wears her body protector...and she has came off both her own pony (in canter and in mid rear!) and the riding school ponies (in trot and canter) she has landed on her bum and hurt it a few times..CJ is a pro at falling off..and she just gets back up says "am fine" and gets back on..LOL..SHe has had a few "sore ones" and has had a wee cry then got back on.. she willl NOT let a horse win!!

I am sure she will be fine..but if you want her to wear the body protector make sure it fits properly..(Did the person in the shop fit it??)
It should sit on her shoulders and not be pushed up with the saddle at the bottom..
It shouldn't dig in and even if it did when she landed she should have been more padded by it than hurt by it..
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2008, 10:25 PM
I hate body protectors. I've done far more damage to myself falling off in them (even "professionally" fitted) and to be honest, I have more falls in them - I think because I sit far more rigid in the body protector, and don't "flow" so easily with the horse, that makes me tense in the saddle. My horse is very much in-tune with me, so if I'm tense, it makes him tense and the whole thing is just a disaster waiting to happen.

I'm sure had I ridden with one from being small, it would simply be second nature by now, but they simply weren't around when I was learning to ride. I never ever get on a horse without a hat, though.

I hope she's feeling better tomorrow.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2008, 10:52 AM
when i came off my old horse jack - i blacked out - i was wearing my body protector and had a nasty fall... i got up unhurt apart from my neck i did slam my back quite hard on the ground as well

i dont have a body protector anymore as i gave it to someone - if i was jumping again i would wear one - on the flat no so much which is a bit daft of me tbh......

i would probably make her wear one tbh... my mum made me wear one when i was younger - at 20 now she cant exactly stop me....!
Koda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Ive worn one that my parents got me fitted for,etc, set them back £240! i worn it once, i HATED it, i fell off in it as i couldnt ride nicely in it, never again.
the only time i can see them protectinn u was if u were to get trampled etc, i fell off and it bruised my side! which i dont think would've happened had i been wearing it. i never fall off anymore, not even in SJ, but i would wear it if i was to ever do XC.....!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >