Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2009, 08:43 PM

devastating car accident with dog and fox

A friend of my familys who owns 2 lurchers has just had the most devastating accident involving his youngest lurcher, fiddler. My friend lives on a narrow boat and had decided to moor up in a particular spot on christmas eve as he knew there were not many rabbits ther-his dogs are both workers so he thought this would be much fairer on them and he wouldnt have to woory so much about them disapearing after rabbits. not long after he arrived he decided to take the dogs for a short walk into a nearby field(it backs onto A38 an extremely busy dual carriagway) but it is a realtively long way to this and there is sheep wire between so he didnt really see it as a danger-but just as he turned into the field fiddler spotted a fox-she gave chase, and as my friend could see they were heading for the road he was shouting and gave chase. but it was too late-as he got to the road he arrived just in time to see his beloved dog and the fox she was chasing, hit and killed instantly by a helpless driver. needless to say he is absolutely inconsolable and devastated.
but this just goes to show, that when dogs are doing what they are bred to do- they go into their zone in their head, and like on this occasion nothing else matters. it has definately made me more careful-even when i think i am a safe distance from a rd-i now will move a bit further away before i let my dogs off-even though they are not your typical working breed.
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-01-2009, 08:55 PM
How awful for your friend and the poor car driver.

Just a terrible accident.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Very sd indeed, Im really sorry to read this.When the prey drive kicks in there is little one can do in most cases.
lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-01-2009, 09:14 PM
The poor man, it must have been awful for him, a similer thing happened to me with hooch, he just charged after a rabbit, but luckly the car just clipped him. it hasn't stopped him chasing rabbits though, i'm just more careful were we go now.
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-01-2009, 09:21 PM
How awful

Heartfelt condolences for your friend

Run Free Fiddler

Jann
Angel44
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-01-2009, 09:27 PM
What an awful tragedy My thoughts are with your friend and the poor driver who hit them both. RIP Fiddler xx
lilyput
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-01-2009, 09:43 PM
How sickening for him and for the driver. I can't imagine how awful it must be to lose a dog in such circumstances.

A deer ran into me when I was driving home a couple of weeks ago - I can't get the scenario out of my head.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

01-01-2009, 09:48 PM
That was an awful thing to happen for all involved. Run free Fiddler...... so sorry to hear this
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Aw, that's absolutely tragic. Run free Fiddler.
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2009, 10:41 PM
How very sad. Run free Fiddler. xx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >