Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2006, 06:04 PM

Inheritance Tax

It seems like a double (or triple) tax to me. We're taxed as we earn, taxed on savings then taxed when we die.

We're actively encouraged to save, whether it's banks, funds or pensions, yet, having spent our lives trying to provide for our children, they seem to penalise us when we die. Why bother saving at all? Or maybe just stick your dosh into a pillowcase and make sure they are flame retardant?

Lots of people fall into the category of this tax now because of the increases in house prices. It was meant to be a rich mans tax.

Should we have a higher threshold? No I tax at all? Leave as is?
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-11-2006, 06:06 PM
As the great Alf Garnett once said. "Probl'y live forever, me. Can't afford to bladdy live, can't afford to bladdy die, can I"
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2006, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by GSDLover View Post
As the great Alf Garnett once said. "Probl'y live forever, me. Can't afford to bladdy live, can't afford to bladdy die, can I"
Sounds like my next door neighbour!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-11-2006, 06:12 PM
Do you know what really shocked me, last time I made out my will my son was 16 and if I died He would have to pay inheritance tax on the house even though he would have been too young to raise a mortgage. He would therefore have been forced to sell the house in order to pay the government. They won't wait either they want their cash within a matter of months regardless of your situation. I had to take out an insurance policy held in trust to specifically pay inheritance tax