Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 10:55 AM

Integrating a farm dog into the home

A friend of mine has just got a border collie. She got him yesterday from someone who was rehoming him from a farm.

I've met the little chap and he's gorgeous but very, very nervous. He's about 2 and has lived all his life outside. He scent marks but hasnt fouled in the home. He just cowers in the corner in the bathroom.

Any suggestions on how she can integrate him into a home environment?

There are no children in the household it's just her.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 11:07 AM
I have some experience of this, though in my case because I already had another dog, my new addition learnt a lot from her.

It's a real eye opener when you realise just how much is scarey in a house. Stumpy didn't know how to do stairs (she got up them alright but froze at the top and would not come down), was terrified of the TV, mirrors and doors.

I would say don't make a fuss but remain calm and quiet when around him. If he is food orientated, he can be encouraged with treats, but if he's not interested, just let him get used to things in his own time.

Your friend should also consider how warm her house is. Stumpy definitely felt uncomfortable with the central heating on and liked the cooler parts of the house -I wonder whether this is part of the reason your friends' dog has chosen the bathroom - perhaps the floor is cooler?
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Poor lad - well lucky lad now!

I am sure given time and space he will quickly settle unless he is emotionally damaged - I brought a kennel dog in to my home and he settled perfectly within days - well within minutes really .

I wouldn't let him hide though - perhaps provide a crate for security but within a well used part of the house so he is involved but can feel like he can get away.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Poor Lad.

I had the same when I took on Reah, a 5 year old (approx) no house training what so ever, and scared to come out from behind the chair.

Patience is all she can do, the trust bond will come, time will be needed and calmness is imperative, as so much can be undone if she isn't.

I bet in 6 months time she'll wonder where that scared dog went........Wishing her all the best and well done to her
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 11:19 AM
He did venture into the livingroom but when he saw her looking at him he ran for the bathroom again. She said he's not interested in treats.

I was debating on taking my border to see him and see if that will help him a little. He doesnt like being on a lead either apparently.

I think she has her work cut out but she is a very patient woman and will keep trying with him. I'll help all i can too with the tips you guys provide.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 11:19 AM
like the others have said just time & patience, & lots of bonding/playing with owner & a really good toy when out & about.

Well done her for taking one on.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by Naomi View Post
He did venture into the livingroom but when he saw her looking at him he ran for the bathroom again. She said he's not interested in treats.

I was debating on taking my border to see him and see if that will help him a little. He doesnt like being on a lead either apparently.

I think she has her work cut out but she is a very patient woman and will keep trying with him. I'll help all i can too with the tips you guys provide.
Oh yes take your dog around, so your dog can show him what to do!!!!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by Naomi View Post

I think taking your BC is a wonderful idea, Reah had Meg to help her, they learn so much from another confident dog.

I look forward to hearing how well he's doing......
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 11:25 AM
My Shamus still panics after a year over certain things - particulary flooring. When he came he refused to cross those metal strips at the edges of carpets in doorways so we had to lay rugs over them. He took to the sofa like a duck to water however.
I think it`s down to time and letting the dog progress at their own pace. If you make a big thing of - say - ignoring the Hoover then the dog gets the idea that maybe the Hoover really is scary. Food is good, provided the dog isn`t too nervous to eat it as then he has good associations.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Hi Naomi although the thread below is about rehoming aggressive dogs many of the methods used apply to you friend's dog the main thing being give the dog the space and time to get used to strange sights and sounds..

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...11#post1582411

Also try the things suggested by Shadowboxer in her article on desensitising shy and nervous dogs...

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=8050
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >