Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dogsos
New Member!
Female 

10-02-2007, 06:36 PM

dogs being put to sleep after 7 days in pounds

Hi people, I stumbled across your site this evening, I noticed some of your members discussing wether or not dogs are put down in this country after 7 days in pounds.

I registered with this forum just to tell you, or TO SHOUT YES YES YES they are!!!! [admin edit: please put whatever info you want to share in this thread as not everyone has the time to sift through a website to find the info you are talking about. Thanks]

Its heart breaking- no one knows, thousands are put down every year.

Just had to let as many people as poss know

karen
Doris Banham Sanctuary
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2007, 06:51 PM
Dogs taken in by the dog warden in the Hull area are not put to sleep after 7 days, they are signed over to the kennels for re-homing. They are micro-chipped before leaving the kennels and new owners given a neutering voucher. Unfortunately dogs handed in to the Police are not so lucky, they are taken to another stray kennels in our area and are PTS when their time is up if not claimed or sold. Some are lucky enough to go to one or another of the local animal welfare groups but some are not so fortunate.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Dogs taken in by the dog warden in my area are put to sleep after 7 days if they are not microchipped or an owner cannot be traced.

I was horrified to be told this by a dog warden in my area who told me that it was the worst part of her job. I think we all get so used to adverts by Dogs Trust etc saying 'we never destroy a healthy dog'. It just never occured to me that this still goes on
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2007, 09:20 PM
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2007, 11:31 PM
leigh cats and dogs home has a 7 day on the stray unit and 7 day on the re-home unit then good nite (that is what i have heard)
ATD xxx
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2007, 12:23 PM
thats disgraceful they could at least give the owners the chance to find them my god it really is a throwaway society as a dogsey member so rightly pointed out in there thread
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2007, 12:25 PM
the annoying thing is 7 days is all they legally have to wait before putting them up for re-homing and there is no protection for cats
the law is so f****d up pardon my french
ATD xxx
ozmutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-02-2007, 01:53 AM
In Australia, you are given 7 days, unless your dog is microchipped - they then try to contact you . maybe about about 3 days., but if you haven't kept your details "up to date", then your dog is given 7 days and then is "put down".

If it is a young and appealing PUPPY, it may be given a better time frame.

There are more puppies born than there can be homes.

It really relies on people having their pup desexed, unless it is a show or breeding dog.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

12-02-2007, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by dollyknockers View Post
thats disgraceful they could at least give the owners the chance to find them my god it really is a throwaway society as a dogsey member so rightly pointed out in there thread
But they do give them time they give them 7 days. Its not the pounds are not throwing away these dogs.