Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2006, 11:16 AM

Pup eating flowers/is this dangerous?

Hello guys,

Roxy is eating everything in sight at the moment, a particular favorite of hers is daisys. But shes eaten a few daffodils/pansys/roses/branches/small leaves on bushes along the way (to going out for wee)

Is this ok? are flowers/plants dangerous?

Thanks

Natalie
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-04-2006, 11:22 AM
Daffodils are toxic to dogs.

Do a web search using the keywords toxic plants dogs you will find many lists such as this one: http://www.dogpack.com/health/poisonplants.htm
Morgandy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2006, 03:08 PM
Dobermans have a habit of eating anything that is not nailed firmly down they love to steal things too. My vet told me that he sees more dobermans that have eaten things and need to be operated on to remove them, than for illness (despite their health problems) That may include socks underwear and even knives. I once see a clip on tv about a 5 month old dobe pup that ate a large carving knife whole. It was fine once it was removed. since then i always check the kitchen for anything within reach. I never leave them with any toys or bones either that could choke them while i was out. Remove any house plants too as they could be toxic. The signs to look out for is that the dog will seam off colour, lethargic and have diarrhoea. If this happens ask the the vet to Xray and not just treat for enteritus. Make sure you have insurance even if only for the first 2 years. Hopefully she wont be as bad as that but keep a close eye. Morgan still has his moments and he is 2 next month.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2006, 05:02 PM
My Harvey went through all this, eating everything in site in the garden. It really upset him, loose motions and was sick a few times. If I let him out alone I sectioned off part of the garden if I went out with him I watched him like a hawk!!

Good Luck xxx
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2006, 09:59 PM
Natalie - I think our Dobe pups could be related lol

Suki is obsessed with eating plants - we spent the weekend digging plants up because she's destroying them. She can't walk past a daisy in the park without having a munch.

I'm getting worried about her (but have the pet insurance!). I was thinking about a soft muzzle to protect her tummy as a couple of times she's had loose bowels - I'm sure of which can be attributed to her personal dietrary choices.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2006, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by trikeschick
Natalie - I think our Dobe pups could be related lol

Suki is obsessed with eating plants - we spent the weekend digging plants up because she's destroying them. She can't walk past a daisy in the park without having a munch.

I'm getting worried about her (but have the pet insurance!). I was thinking about a soft muzzle to protect her tummy as a couple of times she's had loose bowels - I'm sure of which can be attributed to her personal dietrary choices.
Ha ha, oh it not just me then! I get really panicky, everyone tells me im being silly, but i least i know now that some plants are hazardous! i think daisys are ok now though

Morgandy - yes i do have pet insurance, which does put me at ease a little
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2006, 09:29 AM
Either my pup thinks he's a Dobe or its just pups in general cause Loki is a nightmare for eating anything, (bits of fluff, flowers, stones, grass, anything small enought to fit in his mouth!) most of the time he just chews it and spits it out unless I try to take it off him so im never sure whether to just leave him and hope he spits it out or try to take it off him making itmore fun for him and increasing the chance of him swallowing it!
Im especially worried about him eating stones even if he spits them out he chews on them for awhile and I worry he will break his teath!
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2006, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by Hannah
Either my pup thinks he's a Dobe or its just pups in general cause Loki is a nightmare for eating anything, (bits of fluff, flowers, stones, grass, anything small enought to fit in his mouth!) most of the time he just chews it and spits it out unless I try to take it off him so im never sure whether to just leave him and hope he spits it out or try to take it off him making itmore fun for him and increasing the chance of him swallowing it!
Im especially worried about him eating stones even if he spits them out he chews on them for awhile and I worry he will break his teath!
Its pups in general then! any bit of fluff on the floor is hoovered straight up, some balls in the bean bag fell out yesterday, hoovered up, a bit of my hair broke off, hoovered up! Again im not sure if im meant to be taking the stuff out of her mouth, as it seems as soon as my hand goes near she swallows it even quicker !
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2006, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by Carternm31
Its pups in general then! any bit of fluff on the floor is hoovered straight up, some balls in the bean bag fell out yesterday, hoovered up, a bit of my hair broke off, hoovered up! Again im not sure if im meant to be taking the stuff out of her mouth, as it seems as soon as my hand goes near she swallows it even quicker !
Have exactly the same problem, is embarrasing when go to a friends house and he keeps finding bits and pieces on their floor, went to a friends the other week and they hadnt had chance to hover for a couple of days he was in his element finding allsorts! Dont know who was more embarrased me or them! (Had a similar bean bag incident yesterday! )
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2006, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by Hannah
Have exactly the same problem, is embarrasing when go to a friends house and he keeps finding bits and pieces on their floor, went to a friends the other week and they hadnt had chance to hover for a couple of days he was in his element finding allsorts! Dont know who was more embarrased me or them! (Had a similar bean bag incident yesterday! )
Does you pup like the bean bag? Roxy LOVES it, she will back up in to the kitchen, then run as fast as she can, leap up and land smack bang in the middle of the bean bag. Its hilarious to watch! Shes is addicted to it!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >