Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2010, 10:12 AM

Competence tests for dog owners?

Government wants competence tests before you can be a dog owner

Every dog owner will have to take a costly ‘competence test’ to prove they can handle their pets, under new Government proposals designed to curb dangerous dogs.

Owners of all breeds would also have to buy third-party insurance in case their pet attacked someone, and pay for the insertion of a microchip in their animal recording their name and address.

The proposals are among a range of measures to overhaul dog laws in England and Wales being considered by senior Ministers, who are expected to announce a public consultation within weeks.

But critics said responsible dog owners would be penalised by yet more red tape and higher bills – one expert estimated the extra costs at £60 or more – while irresponsible owners of dangerous dogs would just ignore the measures.

They added that genuine dog lovers could end up paying for efforts to control a small number of ‘devil dogs’ that terrorised socially deprived areas.

The RSPCA said last night it would welcome a review of legislation which has failed to curb the numbers of dangerous dogs that can attack, and sometimes kill, children and adults.

But a spokesman for the charity added: ‘We would not support anything that would hit sensible owners while failing to police those who are a danger.’

A government source said the proposals, contained in a confidential document headed Consultation On Dangerous Dogs, have been drawn up by the Department for Environment, Farming and Rural Affairs (Defra).

They follow mounting public concern about the spate of serious injuries and deaths inflicted by dogs.

Police figures show an increase in the number of ‘status’ dogs used to intimidate or threaten others. According to the last available figures, there were 703 convictions for dangerously out of control dogs in 2007 – up from 547 in 2004.

Under the proposals, would-be owners would have to show they had a basic understanding of their dogs before being allowed to keep one.

The document says: ‘There have been suggestions for a competency test for all or some dog owners, akin to the driving theory test.’

But the document admits the cost of setting up such a scheme to cover Britain’s six million dog owners ‘is likely to be prohibitive’, and would have to be met by either charging for the test or by imposing a dog licence fee. Moreover, the officials concede that there were disagreements over what would constitute competence in looking after and controlling a dog.

Taking the lead: The proposals are among a range of measures to overhaul dog laws

Third-party insurance would be less contentious, as owners of certain breeds of dogs are already required to take out such cover.

It is also included in the pet insurance taken out by owners to cover unforeseen vets’ bills and it can be bought for a little as £5, though it will be more expensive for larger and more powerful breeds.

In addition, many owners have had microchips implanted in the necks of their dogs – a process that costs about £30.

Other proposals due to be floated by the Government include giving the police and local authorities the power to impose Asbos on the owners of unruly dogs, and extending the law to cover attacks everywhere.

At the moment, dogs which attack people on private property where they are allowed to be are exempt from the law, despite the complaints from injured postmen.

There are also plans to boost the enforcement powers of police, the courts and local authorities.

As part of the proposed overhaul, all dog laws, including the Dangerous Dog Act 1991, often cited as an example of poorly drawn-up ‘knee jerk’ legislation, could be incorporated into a single law.

An RSPCA spokesman said: ‘We welcome a review but the problem is that while responsible owners will abide by the rules, inevitably you are going to get a fraternity that does not. There are always people who will buy a dog from their mate in a pub and won’t tell the authorities.

‘So the danger is that sensible owners will be out of pocket while irresponsible dog owners will ignore any new rules unless the policing of them is rigorous.’

He said, for example, that while the RSPCA encouraged the use of microchips, the system relied on owners keeping the information up to date.

‘It is no good finding an aggressive dog roaming the streets, perhaps having attacked someone, and going to the address on the microchip to find that the owner hasn’t lived there for years,’ he said.

The Kennel Club said that it was in favour of measures to promote responsible dog ownership, but that the competence tests sounded impractical.

A spokesman for Defra said: ‘We do not comment on leaked documents.’
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...dog-owner.html
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

28-02-2010, 10:26 AM
Good idea.

Competency testing is a proven strategy in raising average standards.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
Good idea.

Not often I agree with you, but on this I do,

Worries me though how it can be implemented, and as the article says, the responsible will comply.

Also I think a discount or exemption should be set for the elderly, along with means tested.

Third party insurance is usually covered anyway if you have dog insurance, but then I guess many don't have that.

Compulsory micro chipping is good, but again , how do you police it.

Another good idea but the policing of it has holes as wide as motorway
Brainless
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-02-2010, 10:37 AM
I have always believed there should be a Licence to be a dog owner, not a dog licence.

My only qualms would be who would decide the competency criteria?

We all know of cases of rescues being over prescriptive on who they will home to and into what environment/set up.

We all know there is no one right way to own/manage a dog, and what suits one breed or even individual will not suit others.
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Good idea.

Actually it isn't. In my professional field (within education), competency testing has been an absolute disaster. It has transformed training into a meaningless set of tick boxes so far removed from the reality of the job that newly qualified staff have to be retrained on the job before they can be let anywhere near the "coal face."
Let's face it, for this government to impose competency testing on other people is perhaps the biggest irony of all time.

Mick
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2010, 10:43 AM
Police figures show an increase in the number of ‘status’ dogs used to intimidate or threaten others. According to the last available figures, there were 703 convictions for dangerously out of control dogs in 2007 – up from 547 in 2004.

Sledgehammer
Nut
So because in the city centres the police have lost control of certain areas, Mrs Bloggs in Little Woofing who is a bit dozy but loves her little dog has to try to pass a written test? And pay for the priviledge.

Under the proposals, would-be owners would have to show they had a basic understanding of their dogs before being allowed to keep one.

And if they don`t pass? Their dog is PTS?

The document says: ‘There have been suggestions for a competency test for all or some dog owners, akin to the driving theory test.’

OK - who`s ever failed the driving test because of nerves or dyslexia?

But the document admits the cost of setting up such a scheme to cover Britain’s six million dog owners ‘is likely to be prohibitive’, and would have to be met by either charging for the test or by imposing a dog licence fee.

I have 4 rescue dogs. I exist on a basic pension. Do the math.

Moreover, the officials concede that there were disagreements over what would constitute competence in looking after and controlling a dog.

And our Council would leap happily in - making one of the requirements that the dog were kept on lead at all times and not be bigger than Cllr Roberts dog (Cllr Roberts leads the Ban Dogs Brigade here)

So - you can have as many kids as you like without a test....
but a dog?
no
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

28-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by Brainless View Post

My only qualms would be who would decide the competency criteria?
My belief is that the burden of applying for and sitting a test will deter many of the very worst owners regardless of the difficulty of the test.

I'd set the bar low and raise it if necessary.

Microchipping (or similar) is an essential pre-requiste or none of these ideas will work.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Whilst I like the idea that people should be able to prove knowledge and understanding to become good, responsible dog-owners - I can totally see that there still be a lot of people who avoid doing them.

These are the ones that are most likely to have a dangerous and out of control dog who will attack.

I have to say I was disappointed to see a photo of two Bulldogs illustrated with that article, it somewhat implies they are dangerous dogs, which nothing could be further from the truth!
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

28-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by MickB View Post
Actually it isn't. In my professional field (within education), competency testing has been an absolute disaster.
I wouldn't argue with your personal experience within your profession but are you saying that the situation would be better if testing was just binned? If anyone could just walk into the job and 'have a go'? And, if they wrecked a class, they can just have another class and try again? Or do you think there should be some sort of selection process, just a better one than you currently have?

Currently, with dogs, we have the 'have a go' policy.

Competency testing is proven to raise average standards. Would you want a doctor who had never sat an exam? Get on a plane with an unqualified pilot? What state would our roads in be if we told new drivers to just 'have a go'?

It works. It needs to be done right to extract the maximum benefit but, as a principle, competency testing works.

Let's face it, for this government to impose competency testing on other people is perhaps the biggest irony of all time.

Mick
Well, of course, (I suspect we have the government that we (nationally) deserve) but that's a whole other forum. lol.
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-02-2010, 11:05 AM
My belief is that the burden of applying for and sitting a test will deter many of the very worst owners regardless of the difficulty of the test..
You are absolutely right! They wouldn't sit the test! It would only inconvenience those who are good, responsible dog owners. The bad owners wouldn't bother and just like the DDA, the laws wouldn't be enforced for lack of resources. Result - just like the DDA - good owners penalised, bad owners ignored.

Education is the only realistic answer with any remote chance of success. Let the RSPCA use some of its ill-gotten millions to promote a huge "responsible dog ownership" education campaign on TV, the internet and in schools.

Mick
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »