Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-04-2013, 10:07 PM

Abandoned poop bags

I'm not trying to be facetious here and am truly stumped- why oh why are there always so many poo bags left on the common? Specifically Whitmoor in Guildford, but I've seen this practically everywhere we've walked. People clearly pick up the poo and then leave the bag on the ground. Why would anyone do that after going to the bother of picking it up? There's a bin in the car park, it's not difficult. I can even understand people occasionally not bothering to pick it up at all- there's always a temptation to be lazy and pretend it never happened! If it was a rare occurrence then I'd just think it's a lazy person but there's so so much of it there must be a reason for it that I'm not understanding.
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-04-2013, 10:24 PM
don't get that either

what sense would that make, if I'm not going to throw them in a bin after picking them up?

but never did see something like that anywhere I came along

guess that is one of the most stupid things I ever heard about

...as then, wouldn't it be better left without that bag?

Oh please Lord! send some brain down, for some peeps who obviously were missing to get some!
Pep_Sounds
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-04-2013, 10:37 PM
I see it regularly on forestry commission walks - people must think there should be a bin every 10 metres along the walk.

However, in fairness, I did see a lot of it piled around an overflowing bin at the entrance to a walk once - clearly someone had forgotten to empty the bins, and so not wanting to take their poop bags home in their cars, responsible dog walkers did what they thought best.

But in the middle of a park, field or forrest...it irritates me no end. Sometimes I wonder if perhaps their dog has done their business near the beginning of their walk and the owner doesn't want to carry it around? But then conveniently forget to pick it up on their way back? Or perhaps they get back and then don't want people to think they pick up random bags of poop? I don't know - it stumps me for sure!

Most of my local haunts are quite good though, with one time a very nice fellow walker even offering to take our poop bag off us as she would be passing a bin in the opposite direction before we reached the one nearest us in our direction!
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2013, 01:47 AM
We get that here too? Seems mad to me, even see them frequently hanging on low tree branches? Like I want to walk in to one ew
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-04-2013, 06:52 AM
I suppose it must be people planning to pick up on their way back. ..but I do think that the amount of other poo bags around would indicate a distinct possibility that they won't remember (or even be able to recognise their own poo bag amongst all the others dotted around!). I have once myself hidden a poo bag on a walk when we stopped to go to a pub and hadn't yet found a bin, but I didn't leave it on a path and I remembered to pick it up again afterwards! I agree with the person who said they'd be better off just leaving it without a bag.

It's getting so bad now it's putting me off that particular common which is the worst one. That and people having their dogs running loose in the car park. I know we live in leafy Surrey but a car is a car (especially when its a 4x4!). Don't get me started!
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2013, 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by Jacsicle View Post
I'm not trying to be facetious here and am truly stumped- why oh why are there always so many poo bags left on the common? Specifically Whitmoor in Guildford, but I've seen this practically everywhere we've walked. People clearly pick up the poo and then leave the bag on the ground. Why would anyone do that after going to the bother of picking it up? There's a bin in the car park, it's not difficult. I can even understand people occasionally not bothering to pick it up at all- there's always a temptation to be lazy and pretend it never happened! If it was a rare occurrence then I'd just think it's a lazy person but there's so so much of it there must be a reason for it that I'm not understanding.
Hi sometimes the bin is full,and people cant be bothered,at a beauty spot,Dunstable Downs,there were loads just thrown on to bushes,even trees,it looked like some strange sort of fruit,I dont envy whoever has to cleanup crystalgirl
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-04-2013, 07:49 AM
laziness imo. i saw a bag left on a football pitch yesterday ! when there are 3 bins nearby. pity i never see the culprit!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2013, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by Jacsicle View Post
I think it's understandable if they are piled up round the foot of an overfull dog bin that obviously isn't emptied frequently enough. But yes - dangling from bushes and left in the grass is another matter.

My theory is that it is people who only pick up if someone is watching them and would not otherwise bother. So, as soon as no one is looking - they dump it rather than carry it with them.

The owners of Bradley Manor where I used to walk my dog daily on the way home from dropping my daughter at school (set among woodland and meadows alongside the River Lemon) had definite views about this. They said they purposely did not provide dog bins and as long as it was not left on the middle of the path - crows and other creatures would dispose of it. Where their estate (NT) stopped and council owned land and park started there were bins (always overflowing). But that the WORST thing people could do was bag it and chuck it where the plastic bags could become a hazard to animals and wildlife.

And I think 'stick and flick' is acceptable for a lot of National Trust areas now isn't it? If it's on the trodden path - just flick to the side. This is very easy to do with a tiny dog like mine who only produces the equivalent of a nice dry poo peanut once a day! Not so easy with much bigger dogs. (I'd have needed a shovel to flick for some of mine in the past!)
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2013, 08:15 AM
It really bugs me, these people would be better off just getting a little stick and pushing the poo into the undergrowth where it can at least biodegrade naturally, which it can't in a poo bag. What is the point in picking it up into a bag if you are going to leave the bag lying there.
Its different if you know on your route there are no more poo bins and you have just been past one, then by all means pop it behind a tree to collect and bin on your way back. I do that on one of our walks, but its only there for about 30 mins.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2013, 08:50 AM
I'm trying to get something done in my local park, council have provided plenty of bins and empty them daily but still people are either not picking up or picking up and hanging it from the bushes. Brain dead morons IMO !
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >