Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
macapaca
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-05-2009, 03:30 PM

Help - raw feeding 3rd week

Quick update:- Ozzy is now eating 2 chicken wings and some mixed meat from butcher every day with some offal twice a week. It must be the way to go because he now enjoys his food and seems to have more energy. He still scratches himself but only half as much as before. His coat is still quite dull but I'm hoping its early days. I just asked butcher for dog knuckle bones and he gave me a bag full of flattish bones with a chunky bit on the end They look lovely and fresh with some fat and meat on them and they cost me nothing. Does anyone know what they are and are they safe? Also can I freeze them?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Yes you can freeze them. The chunky bit is prob the joint of the bone and that should be fine for your dog
See what he can munch of it, if it is too tough then take it away. I usually let my two chomp the end bit and bin it cos the middle bit is a bit to hard for them

Glad the itching is less, I would try at some point a little fish for the coat - but introduce gradually, dont want to add too many things at once
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Have you tried Kronch Salmon Oil. It is supposed to really help with skin and coat problems.There was a thread on here about it a couple of weeks ago, so I ordered it and my 2 love it, not that they have skin or coat problems
I also give mine an Evening Primrose tablet every day, a garlic tablet, Vitamin E and Vitamin B Complex which is good for the nervous system.
Glad to hear your boy is loving his food
macapaca
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Decided to try one of his strange bones, kept a close eye on him with my heart in my mouth and..........he munched the lot . He must have a good set of knashers
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2009, 09:26 PM
they do have pretty amazing teeth
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Sounds like a rib bone ... provided there is plenty of meat on it, that's fine. Gristle and fat is good too.
MartinL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-05-2009, 02:54 PM
raw is great, crunchin the bnes will clean there teath, try getin sum chicken carcases and necks..

flaxseed oil is great, try a tin of tuna every other day.. and sum blended veggies

atb
martin
Fluffypup
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Kelp powder is great for the coat, I give it to mine in his food and his coat is lovely, soft and glossy. It contains lots of minerals (37 I think) so is excellent for all round health too.
bingowings
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-08-2009, 11:51 PM
Yes kelp is great. I also give mine ester c and a formula called protectajoint, which contains glucosamine amongst other important minerals.