Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2011, 08:12 AM

Over Excited Dog

Whenever I try and do some 1:1 training with Poppy (Basenji Terrier x ??) she gets sooooo excited I can't do anything with her!! I can just about get her to sit but her front feet are stepping and tail wagging so furiously her whole bum is moving She spins around and around and is so funny I eventually end up cracking up laughing at her

I usually go into another room well away from my other two as trying to do anything outdoors with her is even worse She's 4 now and I was hoping she'd calm down a bit as she got older but there's no sign of it happening

Having any kind of treats around just makes her more excitable

I've tried agility with her and she loves it but I have to keep her on lead to control her excitement as, as soon as I let her off the spinning and general silliness resumes and she looses all focus.

Her recall is brilliant and she has the basics of sit, stay etc but I started them as soon as I got her at 5 months old.

It almost as if she's so eager to please she can't wait to do it!!

How can I get her to calm down a bit so I can teach her stuff?? Or are there any tips on trying to focus her energy??
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
Whenever I try and do some 1:1 training with Poppy (Basenji Terrier x ??) she gets sooooo excited I can't do anything with her!! I can just about get her to sit but her front feet are stepping and tail wagging so furiously her whole bum is moving She spins around and around and is so funny I eventually end up cracking up laughing at her

I usually go into another room well away from my other two as trying to do anything outdoors with her is even worse She's 4 now and I was hoping she'd calm down a bit as she got older but there's no sign of it happening

Having any kind of treats around just makes her more excitable

I've tried agility with her and she loves it but I have to keep her on lead to control her excitement as, as soon as I let her off the spinning and general silliness resumes and she looses all focus.

Her recall is brilliant and she has the basics of sit, stay etc but I started them as soon as I got her at 5 months old.

It almost as if she's so eager to please she can't wait to do it!!

How can I get her to calm down a bit so I can teach her stuff?? Or are there any tips on trying to focus her energy??
http://www.deesdogs.com/documents/LoweringArousal.pdf
http://www.clickertraining.com/node/1721
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Just seen this posted elsewhere, may be relevant
http://www.dogscouts.org/Protocol_for_relaxation.html
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2011, 10:35 AM
What a lovely problem - she sounds perfect for clicker training

As well as the links already posted I would ask for less and reward more

FOr the sit click the sec the bum hits the floor - dont wait for the legs to start drumming
and work on impulse control things - like getting her to sit or down before she gets to do anything

Shaping/free shaping with the clicker could be the best thing for her too - actually clicking her for offering behaviours so she figures out what she needs to do

For example you could click her for bum on floor then left paw up, then right paw up, then her head moving (so after the two paw clicks you are clicking for anything that isnt her paws drumming - she will try other things when she gets the hang of the game