Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
m935
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-04-2010, 01:06 PM

Can UTI be caused by ACV?

Friday night my 4 yr old dog woke me up 3 times to use hte bathroom. In the morning I noticed she peed a little then dripped blood. She tried again and I saw more blood.

I gave her fishmox before i HAD to go to work. When I came home...she was fine. She still is.

Shes eating, and acting normally.

So now im really confused. Im still giving her fishmox - but I dont know about the apple cider vinegar.

I know its supposed to prevent urinary problems. I started a month ago about 5-7 squirts in her food/water every day. Then this happened. I dont know if she needs MORE or if i should stop the ACV.

I know if i ask a vet - they are going to want to know why im giving her ACV anyway.

Thanks for any help!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2010, 02:06 PM
If your dog is passing blood she needs a vet asap. It could be a number of things, and only a vet exam and test will decide.
I have no idea what adding vinegar to your dog`s food would do or how big your dog is or how much is in a squirt but it obviously isn`t helping since your dog still has a problem so personally I would stop the additives and take the dog to the vet. I hope it is nothing serious.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Hi m935, you give so little information, this is a bitch I think, is she spayed if not is she due in season, has she recently had a season?

I assume you are putting ACV in the food to alter the acid/alki balance of the urine, not something I would do personally because there are various urinary calculi (bladder stones) which form in dogs and some of these can be influenced by the pH balance of the urine and the diet so you need to know exactly what you are doing when adding supplements to alter the pH of the urine.

Your bitch could have a UTI, urinary calculi or something related to her the reproductive system if she is not spayed, I would stop giving supplements and get her checked by a vet ASAP.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-04-2010, 02:46 PM
gave her fishmox before i HAD to go to work. When I came home...she was fine. She still is.
....continued
can I ask why you are giving fishmox to a dog, isn't it for fish, how often do you give it and why.
I believe fishmox is some kind of antibiotic. Antibiotics should be given only when prescribed by a vet and in short courses which should be completed.
To do other than this can make a dog/bacteria tolerant of antibiotics and is not a good thing to be doing.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Unpasturised ACV has lots of benifits for a dog's health. Though I couldn't recommend amounts to give, it would be worth researching into so as not to over or under do it.

I don't think it could necessarily be to blame for the current problem.

As the other poster as said, it's important to get your dog to the vet asap if it's peeing blood. If you are able to bring a sample of urine with you all the better. Poor thing may be suffering from a UTI, stones or something similar. Only a vet could diagnose and treat.

Some vets that use complimentry therapies may be able to advise on amounts of ACV to use also.
m935
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-04-2010, 03:33 PM
She has been spayed for 4 years... and has never had these issues before.

The fishmox is used for cats, dogs and even humans (for those who cant afford medications - very sad). There is a lot of discussion about it on the internet.
I used it for a feral cat and his fight wound cleared up within days. (he had the same problem a year ago and i had to get clavamox from the vet - this worked faster.

BUT i do understand your concerns and thank you for them. I am NOT a vet and need to take her. I just wanted to see if anyone had any info on this today as what to do about further ACV in her food/water AND since i wont be able to get an appointment until tomorrow (maybe)

thanks!!!