View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kelz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-07-2006, 01:40 PM

What do you feed you cavalier king Charles's?

Hiya, to all those who own cavalier king charles spaniels.
I just wanted to know what you all feed yours? Not a debate about whats best etc, just opinions lol.

My Harvey is a tiny bit overweight which has been coming off really well, of course extra exercise as he is so lazy, but I am not sure whether to change his food as he is still on the food we used for the other dog which is a complete food for working dogs!

So I need to rethink what to feed him.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2006, 02:41 PM
I used to have a Cavalier to was a bit porky at times & split his meals into two & reduced them overall by about 10% of what he was having before & increased his exercise

I now feed all my dogs two meals their meat in the morning & complete in the evening-they aren't eating as much as normal enyway at the moment due to the heat
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2006, 03:28 PM
My Cavalier
Daisy was very over weight at one time. I took a few peoples advice on this site and changed her to
Burns complete dried food for over weight dogs. I was not sure how much to give her and asked their advice.
Apparently you must feed them according to the weight you would like them to be and not the weight they are now.

I also split her meals into three times a day dinners.

Also I bought low fat biscuits and cut out all her other fattening treats.

She was 10.35 Kgs and now weighs 8.50Kgs
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2006, 01:19 PM
Poppy has 3 meals a day, I find this suits her better. She has Arden Grange chicken & rice for breakfast at 8am, then Butcher's Choice foil tray for lunch at about 1pm and for tea at about 8.30pm she has either Butcher's Choice or another portion of Arden Grange. She used to have JWB, but after a couple of sacks she went off it. She's very picky, she'll eat something a few times and then go off it. She didn't like Nature Diet at all, had a few pouches of Nature's Menu then changed her mind about that too She quite likes the Butcher's Choice dry complete and luckily they do that in quite small boxes, so it doesn't matter so much if she goes off it again after a few weeks.

Once a week she gets "human food", either chicken and pasta or lamb chops (minus the bones and the fat) with a small potatoe and some veg.

According to the breed standard, Poppy is overweight by about 3 pounds, but she is also taller than breed standard by about 2 inches and you can feel her ribs. The vet has checked her over and he is happy with her.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2006, 07:10 PM
I started on Burns Mini Bites, and recently introduced adult burns, but mixed the two. I also feed chicken and fish.
Daniellew
Dogsey Junior

04-08-2006, 10:20 PM
well i used to struggle to get my two to eat anything without them getting colitis every now and then, but since feeding them Eukanuba, lamb & rice they have been doing great
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2006, 10:40 PM
sophie has burns high oats and the others burns or eukanuba light ......the only one of mine thats porky is Sophie she gained weight after being spayed
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2006, 06:53 AM
My dad is still feeding Henry on Burns mini-bites, on the advise of Burns, he's quite a slim chap (Henry that is not my dad) so Burns recommended he stayed on MB's still he was 12 months old, then to change over to adult.