Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-10-2007, 10:01 AM

Walk from Hell (long post)

Just got it from the walk from hell and for once it was nothing to do with my lot

First off was a d**khead with a rottie, I had a neighbour(needs a stick) tell me that when he took his dog out this bloke with the rottie followed him with the dog pulling and looking angry(his words) and then lets it off his lead so it runs over at his dog barking thus nearly pulling my neighbour over. I thought it can be the one I know as while that pulls is otherwise good as. Then a few days later I was walking mine along a footpath at the side of the fields when the same rottie(i guess its same from what i was told the bloke looked like) can running over barking, growling with the owner chasing him with the lead.

So back to today we are own and he does the same as he did with the neighbour, we are walking and he walks fast as close as possible with the dog following, so I stepped off the path until he passes, so he starts walking slow. Anyway he finally passes and off we walk.

All was good my lot playing and listening when I see an ownerless dog running at the bottom of one of the hills, so I call mine and put them onlead untill I know if know the dog, anyway when doing this the dog charges at mine but thankfully its one I know but is normally on lead, well today the owner let him off while she stood at the gates to the field waiting, but in all fairness she did come get the dog and say sorry.

I then decided to walk back on myself and go the long way back to the gates and set off when I saw a sight, a woman dressed in full hiking gear (hat, boots, glasses, shock obsorbent stick and loads tied round her neck) walking at pace with the smallest dog I had ever seen struggling to keep up, now this is a smallish feild in north manchester, not the lake district or the scottish highlands. Skye also saw this and would run towards(the bright colours and small dog took her intrest) she came back each time I called her but I thought I am not walking spending half my time calling skye back, so I said f**k it and walked back the short way.

On the way back I glance back to see the bloke with the rottie walking over the motorway bridge with the dog off lead but a old woman coming round the corner with her dog, neither could see, so I stayed to see what would happen, well the rottie seen this dogs and went bounding to the other while its owner was stood infront of it waving its lead and acting like a rugby player to stop it. So imo either the dog is dog aggressive and should be on a lead or the owner is going all out to make him scared of other dogs.

And the difference being today, it was sunny and quite warm so everyone came out with dogs who dont know how to behave or people who dont know care about other dogs/owners.

Anyway thank you for listening to my rant.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2007, 10:09 AM
Many fair weather walkers are not usually dog lovers, nor do they have any basic knowledge or common sense!
It takes all the pleasure out of a walk, too.
I should sit down and have a nice cup of tea!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by Deccy View Post
Many fair weather walkers are not usually dog lovers, nor do they have any basic knowledge or common sense!
It takes all the pleasure out of a walk, too.
I should sit down and have a nice cup of tea!
I agree, a few weeks ago Skye had a relapse training wise(going back naughty and not listening) and with Star being ill walks hadn't been much fun but Skye is listening again (brilliant today) and Star is getting fitter so I have been enjoying walks again and its spoilt by idiots.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2007, 10:15 AM
One of the benefits in living in the middle of the bog with no neighbours is that I never meet another dog walker! Sometimes when we pass a farm, the local mutt will have a bark but despite being loose, they are never any trouble. Give me a dog over a person any day!
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2007, 10:17 AM
Being a dog walker I know exactly what you mean,I come across these scenarios all the time.Loads of people think because their dogs are well behaved so are everyone else's.It's a pity everyone wasn't as responsible as yourself by putting their dogs on a lead when unsure.xxxxxxxxx
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2007, 10:28 AM
Yes... the number of times when I lived in a town that I would put the lead on when a loose dog approached, only to be told by the other owner that their dog is "no bother" but what about mine? He could be difficult so he/she ought to do the same, just in case....
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-10-2007, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by boobah View Post
Being a dog walker I know exactly what you mean,I come across these scenarios all the time.Loads of people think because their dogs are well behaved so are everyone else's.It's a pity everyone wasn't as responsible as yourself by putting their dogs on a lead when unsure.xxxxxxxxx
I always do, If I see a dog off lead who I am not sure about or if I see an owner with their dog on lead I will put mine on as their might be a reason why its on lead what you can guess. I did have one with a staff off lead walking past mine off lead a few months ago, he started screaming to get mine on the leads, I said they are ok not bothering his and we are going the oppisite way, to which he replyed, get em on the f**king lead cos his isnt good with dogs and he is not paying vet bills if mine get attacked. Needless to say that didnt go down to well with me.

A 2nd time we were walking down one path with a small field in between and another path on the opisite side, his dog run over wagging its tail, Star did not bother nor did Jake, Skye was only a few months so was playing with this dog, the dog then ran back to its owner and Skye followed, he starts screaming at her and shoving her so Jake and Star saw this and shot over, he then swung a lead at Jake, so I who was walking shot over only to be stopped my a neighbour saying he is not worth it.

Both these were also on sunny days.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2007, 12:20 PM
I love the sunny days but these damn fair weather walkers do my head in

We met an off lead stafford this morning but the woman did call the dog back,it went back eventually,the woman must have called it a 100 times or more.We saw loads today offlead,some I'd never seen before.

Mine are good off lead but they are only allowed off in the enclosed field.

It does spoil your walk,I prefer to go out when it's really cloudy or when its pouring with rain,only trouble is the dogs arn't keen going out in the rain.
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2007, 01:20 PM
Im lucky to have a big garden where my Jack Russell loves to run after her toys and play football for hours. We only do "walks" round where I live very early morning when no-one about. We have had too many incidents with idiots and their out of control dogs We do our week-end walks at the beach and out of town - again early morning-where we rarely come across the sort of anti-social behaviour we find in town.
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2007, 03:41 PM
What a nightmare, i bet you wereplease to get back home I would love to know why people dress like that, it will be the same ones that at the first snowflake dress like they are off the North Pole