Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 08:13 PM

Summer Kennels

Seeing as I will be on my own during the summer and currently work Friday and Saturday night. Now as no one will be here to let them out, and we live semi - rural I don't really want to get someone to come and let them out nor can I just leave the back door open for them. So the only other way is to get them a kennel for the nights I'm at work.

However I'm not sure if I want one with a pen or whether to let them have the run of the garden. It is secure but it is near the road and things have been pinched off the garden etc..

Bit confused about it. None of them have been kennelled but I don't think any of them would like being in the house on a warm night (where I would be putting the kennel would be in the shade).
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 08:25 PM
If you were going down that route, I would definitely have an enclosed run. The main problem would be barking if they didn't like it, particularly if you have neighbours and it will be at night. Another thing to think about is security. Will they be secure if someone tries to pinch them? Is there a risk of them being pinched? It does happen.

Helen
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
If you were going down that route, I would definitely have an enclosed run. The main problem would be barking if they didn't like it, particularly if you have neighbours and it will be at night. Another thing to think about is security. Will they be secure if someone tries to pinch them? Is there a risk of them being pinched? It does happen.

Helen
The kennel and run wouldn't be visible from the road, but if they came to the side gate they would see it. Our side gate is always locked, I would prefer to have a wooden panel gate rather than the metal one we have.

The only one we'd have trouble with is Benjie, and Louie would bark if there was something to bark about.
I have one neighbour next door. But there is due to be a new neighbour and I'm just working on the premise that they might be like the neighbours I have at the moment who wouldn't let the dogs out when I asked them if they could.

It's a tricky decision and I'm not sure I'm fully on board with this one, more ideas being thrown in the air.
CharleyMaddison
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Is it just that you are working night shifts on friday and saturday night, or do you mean your away working friday night until sunday morning. I find working nights very practical for having dogs, mine are left inside and they just sleep as they usually would. It's going out in the daytime I worry about and why I'm considering a dog flap.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by CharleyMaddison View Post
Is it just that you are working night shifts on friday and saturday night, or do you mean your away working friday night until sunday morning. I find working nights very practical for having dogs, mine are left inside and they just sleep as they usually would. It's going out in the daytime I worry about and why I'm considering a dog flap.
I work nights, I am back at 2.30am, so they would only be outside half 4/5pm - 3am at most, they wouldn't be out all night, but it means that if I haven't been able to exercise them enough during the day (see my dreading summer thread) then my house isn't going to be destroyed and they are cooler. However my house is pretty cool in the summer anyway.

I can't have a dog flap even though I would love one, we have reinforced doors due to a few break ins when no one was living here.

I have yet to talk to the OH and the landlord (FiL) about this so it really is just ideas.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 10:21 AM
how long are you at work for? what are your hours etc?

if you were getting a kennel, then i would get one with a run, i wouldnt want them running around loose in the garden, its amazing, how dogs can find ways out, or make their own ways if they are bored.

as for them barking at things, you have to get them used to being in it and being quiet, but saying that you arent in a built up area, so there shouldnt be too many distractions for them, especially at night time.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 11:00 AM
I personally wouldn't kennel them at night. I have no objections to kenneling at all (in theory, it does sound like the best idea), but the issue comes from the fact that they are not used to it. If they start barking, you have a problem and you would be out of pocket and back to square one.

I'm afraid the only choice I would consider if I were in your shoes would be to pay someone to come in and let them out, give them a fuss, lock up and then leave. Most pet sitters will pop in for half an hour and offer this service.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I personally wouldn't kennel them at night. I have no objections to kenneling at all (in theory, it does sound like the best idea), but the issue comes from the fact that they are not used to it. If they start barking, you have a problem and you would be out of pocket and back to square one.

I'm afraid the only choice I would consider if I were in your shoes would be to pay someone to come in and let them out, give them a fuss, lock up and then leave. Most pet sitters will pop in for half an hour and offer this service.
This is exactly whats holding me back from going and getting one now. It wouldn't be so bad if Benjie hasn't been allowed to get away with just barking for the sake of it. I'm going to look into sitters etc, but I just didn't want to jump into it without hearing opinions, I am an indecisive person..
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
This is exactly whats holding me back from going and getting one now. It wouldn't be so bad if Benjie hasn't been allowed to get away with just barking for the sake of it. I'm going to look into sitters etc, but I just didn't want to jump into it without hearing opinions, I am an indecisive person..
You'd probably be surprised at how your other two might react if they are outside at night, not just Benjie.

I know mine would be very reactive to noises at night (cats, foxes screaming, neighbours moving about, etc.) so it would never work for mine. I can't even put mine outside for their last wee for a minute without them barking at something.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-02-2012, 12:34 PM
I'm not anti kennel either but in your case I wouldn't do it as you have raises several theft and security issues, that have previously occurred your area
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >