Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hippo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-08-2012, 11:22 PM

The Alps?

Hi there everyone! Has anyone ever takentheir dogs to the Alps? We're thinking of going there next summer, we'd like to do some nice high walks (keeping below the snow!) And just wondered if anyone had any info?

Cheers

Hippo
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-08-2012, 09:31 AM
Experience on the swiss side. Great idea! Easy to go, Dogs accepted on the mountain trains etc.... My dogs love it!
Hippo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-08-2012, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by Dalmonda View Post
Experience on the swiss side. Great idea! Easy to go, Dogs accepted on the mountain trains etc.... My dogs love it!
Bril sounds very promising

Just out of interest would you recommend any particular area? What was the mountain walking like? Where there huge numbers of trails to choose from? Wow, how many questions??!!
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-08-2012, 12:18 PM
I spend time in cantons Vaud and Valais because my OH is Swiss. I love it! Switzerland in General is very "dog friendly" so you will find you are able to dine in a restaurant with the dog under the table.

I will find you some links! They are more "where locals go" but close to all the things tourists love. I would reccomnd using the public transport though. It can be very cheap and it is surprising how low the snow can be in some areas during the summer. You can go from snow to 40 degrees in a matter of 2 hours walking!
Hippo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-08-2012, 01:08 PM
I spend time in cantons Vaud and Valais because my OH is Swiss. I love it! Switzerland in General is very "dog friendly" so you will find you are able to dine in a restaurant with the dog under the table.

I will find you some links! They are more "where locals go" but close to all the things tourists love. I would reccomnd using the public transport though. It can be very cheap and it is surprising how low the snow can be in some areas during the summer. You can go from snow to 40 degrees in a matter of 2 hours walking!
That's perfect, thank you so much

Finding it a little daunting finding out any info at the moment! Lots of site, and almost too much info!
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by Hippo View Post
That's perfect, thank you so much

Finding it a little daunting finding out any info at the moment! Lots of site, and almost too much info!
Well the trick is to stay out of the highly advertised Tourist bits. Switzerland is expensive repuation.... but the Swiss are so tight they squeak when they walk... hense if you avoid main tourist scenes... its reasonably priced!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2012, 02:49 PM

Sounds fabulous. Switzerland is somewhere I really fancy going at some point. Would love to take a dog too. Any piccies Dalmonda?
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Sounds fabulous. Switzerland is somewhere I really fancy going at some point. Would love to take a dog too. Any piccies Dalmonda?
Oh heavens yes! I will work out how to load!
ste
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Don't plan on walking in any of the French National and natural parks, as dogs are normally not allowed, not even on leads.but even then there's heaps of equally beautiful walks, without setting foot inside. I have done the Tour of Mont Blanc, accompanied by a dog, with no problems, avoiding the National Park of Aguille Rouge.
Generally it is very easy to travel around Europe with a dog, most accomodations,campsites, bars and restaurants accept dogs and even more so in the mountainous areas..
I live in the Italian Alps, (nth west) so if you want any ideas for this area,then let me know,
Hippo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by ste View Post
Don't plan on walking in any of the French National and natural parks, as dogs are normally not allowed, not even on leads.but even then there's heaps of equally beautiful walks, without setting foot inside. I have done the Tour of Mont Blanc, accompanied by a dog, with no problems, avoiding the National Park of Aguille Rouge.
Generally it is very easy to travel around Europe with a dog, most accomodations,campsites, bars and restaurants accept dogs and even more so in the mountainous areas..
I live in the Italian Alps, (nth west) so if you want any ideas for this area,then let me know,
Yeah I'm slowly discovering that mountains, France and dogs seem not to go together!

THe Italian Alps sounds very interesting, do tell more
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >