Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
stemsoli
New Member!
Female 

28-11-2010, 02:50 PM

Singleton pregnancy

Hi, This is my first post here.... I have a large breed (not sure if I am allowed to name it?) my bitch is due to whelp any day now, she is on day 59. Her first litter she had 10 pups and everything went really well, she is fantastic mum. This pregnancy is slightly different as when I took her for a scan they could only see 1 pup...Now my question is, is this common to see only 1 pup and have maybe more? I know that she won't be having 10 as she feels emptier, but I can feel movement so there is something in there. Also what complications can arise from a singleton pregnancy as this isn't very common to have such a small litter in my breed....
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Did you have a scan at the vets, or use a sheep scanner?
First scan we had done was done by vets and the bitch had 3 more pups than the vet saw, we now use a sheep scanner and she is always correct with numbers.

If she is carrying one pup, she may need a c-section due to the the pup being to large for the bitch to self whelp.
stemsoli
New Member!
Female 

28-11-2010, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Did you have a scan at the vets, or use a sheep scanner?
First scan we had done was done by vets and the bitch had 3 more pups than the vet saw, we now use a sheep scanner and she is always correct with numbers.

If she is carrying one pup, she may need a c-section due to the the pup being to large for the bitch to self whelp.
well she was scanned at the vets, but they seemed to be pretty confident using the equiptment... ok well i will have to wait and see what happens... do you think she will go over her due date as there is only a small litter? compared to her last litter that whelped on day 62
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Its possible that she may go over.
Also have a look at this website. Just to be perpared.
http://www.samoyedhealthfoundation.o...terine-inertia

Its also said that many bitches wont produce milk, as the hormones are just not there.

Will you be having an x-ray to make sure your bitch can pass the pup? Its best to do this on day 55 but you have missed that already. I would consider having one done tomorrow?

when pup was born you would have to make sure the puppy didnt get to fat, as this can cause whats called 'swimmers'. Swimmers can not walk and need therapy to get up and walking.
stemsoli
New Member!
Female 

28-11-2010, 03:43 PM
ok thanks devil dogz, she is being watched all the time anyway I'm sure she is getting paranoid now
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Good luck, and let us know what happens.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Good luck and you can say what breed she is.
stemsoli
New Member!
Female 

28-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by suecurrie View Post
Good luck and you can say what breed she is.
she is a Black and Tan dobermann.... will try to get some pics on when i have sorted out this new laptop!!
Kyllobernese
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-11-2010, 05:05 PM
I have had two one pup litters and both of them went over, one went three days over, the other six days. They were both not any bigger than their previous litters with more pups but I know that can be a problem sometimes.
stemsoli
New Member!
Female 

28-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by Kyllobernese View Post
I have had two one pup litters and both of them went over, one went three days over, the other six days. They were both not any bigger than their previous litters with more pups but I know that can be a problem sometimes.
do you have a large breed? also did they end in c-sections or vet intervention?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >