Our sister sites
Our sister sites
joannalmeida
New Member!
Female 

29-03-2015, 10:20 PM

New to the Group

Hi

I just joined the group today. I have a lab, age 10 and a Maltipoo age 9.
I need to get opinions on a problem I am having with my maltipoo. She shivers a lot, sometimes moans and is not active. She will not go up and down stairs. Just two weeks ago she was running around like crazy.

I took her to the vet and he gave her medication for pancreas. He did exrays and did not see anything. He keeps saying he thought something is wrong with her spine. I don't think that is true because she stretches with no problem.
A week later she is not any better and the vet tells me he wants me to have the other vet in the office look at her.

I got no satisfaction. All she did was take another exray, put her on steriods and took a urine sample. She does not know what is wrong.

After taking the steriods for two days she is slightly better but still does not move around a lot. I have spent 1,000 dollars on all these test and have no answers. What should I do.

Jo Ann Almeida
vsexton
New Member!
Female 

29-03-2015, 10:41 PM
Hello,
I am new also! Welcome. The shaking has to do with her pain, since she is on steroids the inflammation should be greatly reduced. I would take her to a chiropractor as soon as possible. Take all your own x-rays with you.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-03-2015, 11:44 PM
Hi, welcome to Dogsey.
Poor pup, sounds like she is having a hard time. What's her name?
Can you tell us anything else? How long has she been like this? Anything happen before it started? What is she normally like? Any other symptoms? Temperature? Toileting? Eating? Drinking?
There are so many things it could be. I take it the x-rays and urine sample came back clear. Have they done any blood tests? When my Cookie had pancreatitis they always confirmed it with blood tests, no idea what they were looking for but the proof must have been there.
Often dogs with spinal pain will stretch to try to relieve it, that said some also won't stretch because it hurts.
When you run your hand down her back does she seem in pain? Any moving away, flinching, skin rippling? Has your vet felt down her spine?

I would want answers, especially since she sounds to be in pain. I can imagine your bank balance is in pain too! How long did they tell you to give her steroids for? If they are thinking inflammation on her spine, it should help and might fix the problem. If it doesn't they know to look for something else. I'd be asking what else it could be so you can be on the look out for anything that might fit. Short of that I'd be noting down anything that is in anyway unusual for her, so that you have a diary of sorts to show them the symptoms and when she is worse and hopefully when she is feeling better. Might be times of the day she is more able and active.

If all else fails I would be asking for copies of their tests and going to see another vet. I'm not sure a chiropractor can help, especially if you're right and her spine is fine.
joannalmeida
New Member!
Female 

30-03-2015, 12:22 AM
The vet wants her on steriods for 7 days. She has no diarrhea, her blood test came back normal and the urine test will be back tomorrow. Before this started she was very active. Every step I took she was right behind me. Now she just stays in one place. She has no temperature. First thing in the morning she usually does not want to eat which is not normal and that is when she shakes the most.

Her blood test confirmed it was not pancreatitis.