Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2010, 04:06 AM

Twitters the Canary - RIP

Didn't know whether to put it in the Gone but not Forgotten section, as Twitters was a Canary, but she went to birdy heaven last night and found her this morning.
Some people might say 'well it is only a bird' but she was the strangest Canary I have ever met.
She was so tame she would hop on your finger and not stress, like canaries are known for, she didn't sing when we first got her, she was in a small cage. We were only meant to have her for a few weeks as her owner was going O/S for a family reunion, but when she got back, she said we could keep her if we wanted as she didn't have the time to look after her and only had her due to feeling sorry for it, as she was its third owner. We of course said yes.
So she moved on in with her fourth owners. She got a mansion of a cage, filled with all the stuff she loved, two mirrors (I think she loved her self up a lot), a huge bird bath (always loved her baths), cuttle fish shells, sand paper (designed for birds), proper twigs, a mineral bell. When she came she had mites, so she got sprayed, her nails were over grown, she got then cut. She couldn't fly either I am guessing as the cage was long rather than wide that stopped her from being able, and after a while in the mansion she started flitting, she wasn't the most co-ordinated canary and missed her target at times.
She started singing, and pipping and when eating sounded like a chook.
We debated on getting her a friend, but she wasn't the same as the canaries we saw in the pet shop, she didn't have a nervous attitude, so we thought it might scare her, so she had us instead, if we talked to her she would pip back. She loved attention.
We had her for a little over a year. She is now in the garden under the rose bush, and I cry for her as now where I look there is an empty cage, where I use to see Twitters and make that me smile and my OH and me, will miss her.

This is a photo of her, the photo does her no justice at all, the orangey looking bits were actually yellow.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2010, 05:24 AM
Oh, she's lovely Emma.

Hop free, sweetheart...

x0x
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2010, 05:44 AM
Aw Emma sending you loads of hugs and reminding you how you gave her a lovely home what more could she have wanted in life.

Fly free Twitter

xxx
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2010, 07:17 AM
I'm so sorry Emma, hugs to you. She sounded like a real little character. RIP sweet girl. xxxxx
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2010, 07:26 AM
Thanks Vicki, Lynne and Claire,
she was a unique canary, she will be missed
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2010, 07:31 AM
aw, sorry to hear this Emma.

I'm glad she learnt how to sing and flitter in her last home with you - she must've been so much happier.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2010, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
aw, sorry to hear this Emma.

I'm glad she learnt how to sing and flitter in her last home with you - she must've been so much happier.
I hope so Fiona, I never thought I would cry over a bird, but she was so funny and now she has gone I miss hearing her. OH is worse than me he loved that bird
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2010, 09:25 AM
So sorry to read this Emma, she was beautiful and I can imagine you must feel so sad..I'm thinking of you.

RIP sweet Twitters xxx