Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
annismith
New Member!
Male 

26-03-2008, 04:11 PM

new descriptive name for female dogs

Does anyone else feel that the accepted name for a female dog being a 'bitch' is unfortunate to say the least?.

I feel that the name should reflect the man or wo-man style used by almost everyone else.

How about calling a female dog a 'dogess', thus we would have a dog or a dogess, although copying the male-female idea it would not be anthropororphic would it?

Should we lobby the Kennel Club to further this idea?

Please let me know your views, and this one is not a joke or lie.

Tony
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 04:15 PM
hehe.. can't really say that it has been that much of a problem, aside from watching Crufts this year with my flatmates who couldn't help but giggle when the commentator said, "Well that's a very nice bitch".. to me it's just not an issue but as they weren't really that familiar with hearing it, they just cracked up!
maddies mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-03-2008, 04:22 PM
I agree that it's not really a problem.It's only todays society that makes people squirm when the term bitch is used in relation to dog gender. I can understand that the term might make some people uncomfortable but rise above it Tony and be proud to use it appropriately x
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 04:22 PM
I think whatever name you choose for a female dog would be used as an insult so we would be at the same point again in the future.
I personally would prefer that people are taught manners
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 04:23 PM
I have to say that even if this makes me sound a prude I'm incapable of calling our lady the 'b' word especially in front of my parents or grandparents! It just doesnt seem right! she's our lady diggie!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Female dogs were called bitches long before the term was coined as an insult. As has been said before people need to be taught some manners rather than finding an alternative to the word for it's correct use.
Becky
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 04:29 PM
No - I`ve got a beautiful big fluffy bitch. And I`ve had GSD bitches ever since I was in a position to have a dog. What next - Horses-esses (Mare!) ; Cattle-esses? (Cow!) Just because some people misuse the language doesn`t mean I have to start speaking Disney.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-03-2008, 05:00 PM
I just have dogs, male dogs and female dogs
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Female dogs were called bitches long before the term was coined as an insult. As has been said before people need to be taught some manners rather than finding an alternative to the word for it's correct use.
Becky
...I think that is the case too , the word 'bitch' may have been hijacked to some extent and it may have other connotations in certain circles.
I have been calling the female of the canine species bitches for over 50 years and I have no intention of stopping now! Other people can call them what they like.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Just because some people misuse the language doesn`t mean I have to start speaking Disney.
Absolutely.

It really doesn't bother me. All my female dogs over the years have been called bitches. When I'm out and people ask "boy or girl" I always reply "bitch", unless it's Lennon, of course, in which case I say dog
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >